Subject Author Posted Replies

Chinese drywall
I came across this info on one of the suppliers of the Chinese drywall = a mess !! Smitty http://tinyurl.com/d9adrhWhat

Using bearings in dovetail jigs
Basically all my problems with dovetal jigs seem to be in getting (and keeping) the dovetail bit centered in the bushing. I got to thinking that Keller and others are right - use a bearing. I have...
5
5

This is getting ridiculous
So I picked up the Festool TS55 at that garage sale a couple weeks back, and I wanted to compare it to the DeWalt tracksaw that I had seen in a local building supply house. eBay is always a good place...
12
12

Ping Leon
Leon, .......... bench photo's as promised. order of the photo's is a bit mixed, but youll get the gist of it. Base is pine, dowelled to locate stretchers and then held to gether under mild tension...
9
9

What finish on walnut wood
I am getting near completion on a stand alone walnut cabinet which will sit in a corner of the kitchen and double as a TV stand. One door will contain glass and the other one will be raised panel. I...
17
17

Drilling holes for dowels
Hello I asked this question on sept. 22, and got a lot of answers. It also caused quite a debate here. My solution was to buy a fostner bit, for what it app 2,25 USD, and it works very well. One of...
1
1

Some of my other Grampa's tools
A few years back I inherited some of my Dad's dad's planes, and they have a place of honour in my shop, and I try to use them as much as I can. They included a Stanley #8 that had a crack in it that I...
27
27

Sometimes I forget how dumb I can be.
Bought a couple of extra long up spiral router bits for my mortising jig. Decided to try some template routing so installed the bushing and collar and bit in my M12V - a brand new one I had in a...
12
12

frame 1" melamine particle board with 1x3
What is an ideal method to frame a simple workshop table made from 1" melamine particle board and 1x3? Screws/glue? Best, Christopher
25
25

I might be a Neanderthal .........
Had a great day in the workshop today. SWMBO had requested I make something for her daughter's birthday, so I set to work breaking down some timber on the T/S and then sharpened up my collection of...
7
7

What is it? Set 306
A new set has been posted: http://55tools.blogspot.com/Rob
34
34

Making designer bookshelf, looking for advice on joining wood at odd angles
Hello everyone! I'm looking to construct this bookshelf out of wood: one in the picture is some kind of structural foam, but I'm thinking good ol' 2x6's. All the angles are crazy though, and I'm...
14
14

Just ran across this show on the tube - furniture designer
The show seems to be about a designer wannabe who takes up design challenges in other fields. The show I'm watching now is a furniture designer challenge. It's a Canuck HGTV production and pretty...
8
8

Akeda accessory kit
For those of you who have popped for the Akeda, here's an accessory kit on ebay:...

Almost OT - Desk chair restoration question
I have in my possession 3 old swivel desk chairs. one dates to the 1940s, I think, another to the late '20s and the third is documented to 1898. They are all in mostly good condition with a few...
17
17