Subject Author Posted Replies

watercolors for wood stain
Has anyone tried using watercolors (from a tube) to make a wood stain? I want to try this on some butternut samples and wondered how this can be done. The watercolor from the tubes are thick. Would...
5
5

O/T: "Soupy" Sales
We lost another one of the funny guys. Lew
7
7

O/T: How I Learned To Mind My Own Business
Enjoy Lew ------------------------------------------------ I was walking past the mental hospital the other day, And all the patients were shouting, '13....13....13.' The fence was too high to see...
4
4

40" diameter, 80' tall douglas tree going down... how do I make bowls with it?
Hello, I am not an expert woodturner (more a low lever intermediate), but my neighbourgh douglas fir, 80' tall and 40" diameter is dead, and will be cut on monday. My neighbourghs want me to make a...
4
4

Drafting machine?
In spite of having used CAD programs for many years (TurboCAD is my most recent tool, and let's not have this degrade into a Sketchup war, shall we?) I still resort to (and enjoy!) using pencil and...
31
31

deciphering request for landscape timber plans
Maybe this will help decipher my request: landscape timbers- long treated wood posts that are usually flat on two sides. Can be used in various ways to make yard art, retaining walls, etc. deer...
4
4

Ouch!
Another reminder that business owners, and woodworkers, can't be careful enough ... are gonna have a field day ... and insurance companies will soon be insisting on the SawStop technology as a...
11
11

I've Posted Pictures
Hi All, Some of you have wanted to see some of my projects and the remodeling of my shop. I loaded about 50 pics. The first photos, I loaded, start on page 3, so the sequence of events, as per the...
5
5

Woodcraft Parallel Clamps 25 Percent Off
"WoodRiver Parallel Clamps Save 25% Now Through October 31, 2009" 12"-22 bucks 50"-33 bucks. Decent prices on decent clamps.
5
5

Sharpening Gouges
Hi, All, I borrowed a set of gouges for woodcarving from a friend. He said they were old. When I tried them out on some scrap wood, they seemed dull compared to my chisels. They were well polished, as...
8
8

Bosch DLR165K Digital Laser Range Finder (mini review)
The Bosch people were a Dog & Pony show at our local Home Despot. Free donuts and coffee (the parking lot was full of cop cars). A very sharp demonstrator answered all my questions and I bought the...
3
3

Mugging Down Under
Went to the tool store today. Was mugged by two salesmen. One diverted my attention by showing me lots of shiny new machinery, while regaling me with talk of improved exchange rates, - the other...
4
4

Forstner's Bit
I need a Forstner's bit that is 2 3/16th. The typical on-line vendors offer a 2 1/8th and 2 1/4 size. Anyone know if this size is made? This is for a production job - need to make 100's of these - so...
11
11

HumourOT: Countertop materials marketing 101
Cut & Paste from my mailbox...as is: (*I* thought it was funny... Private Showroom Invitation Dear mr cogeco , You have received an exclusive invitation from Young Li, a pre- qualified Gold Supplier...
9
9

Re: Cordless drill reviews and something ugly..
Hard to say here, I looked at the group and it seems like several writers voiced their opinions with out each testing every drill. That was my impression. The Milwaukee, incredibly light weight, yet...
6
6