Subject Author Posted Replies

Thinner or Mineral Spirits?
I just finished helping a friend paint the interior of probably our 20th house in the last 10 years. Typically he rolls on the latex to paint the walls and I cut in. Also I do most of the oil based...
25
25

Re: What is it? Set 308
1759: looks like an adze, for a woodcarver; could, however, be some kind of boat-caulking tool. If it had more metal parts or nastier wood ones, it could be a welder's chipping hammer... Or, it's a...
1
1

What duct work do I buy for dust collection
Most home shop folks just use plastic any more. 26 ga snap-lock duct is the only (semi-)economical metal choice... for example. May have better luck at the HVAC supply places than box stores locally....
21
21

What is it? Set 308
The answers to this set will be posted on late Friday afternoon as usual: http://55tools.blogspot.com/Rob
12
12

Re: OT: Florida Traveler Advisory - Bushnell, FL
Good Warning. Post a copy to But, a little less verbose would be much better!
31
31

Eye-Witness - Florida Traveler Advisory - Bushnell, FL
Yes, this OT post has become far more verbose than intended. Yet most of the lawyers and judges in this state/county are nothing but ladder climbing sycophants and pettifoggers of the worst kind....
26
26

Re: Neader or Normite tool?
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 11:44:32 -0500, the infamous -MIKE- scrawled the following: Bigass Normish hand plane with a conveyor belt on the bottom to push material through. Pretty cool, but you couldn't...

Re: Question on staining oak
Huzzah!! Or, you could put on a coat of shellac first of all, sand it off leaving it in the pores so they won't absorb as much then add your filler and "normal" stain. No, I don't own a shellac...
2
2

Re: Bookcase color
I painted my bookcases interiors with a very dark latex and a primer underneath. I allowed the bookcases to completely cure for 2-3 months before waxing, buffing and loading up with books. It has had...
3
3

Re: No Electricity Table Saw
A few years ago, some teenage kid had rigged up an old Scroll Saw with a burned out motor to an old tredle sewing machine base. He had maybe $10 in it (mostly for new blades). He powered the tredle...

Re: Nice deal on a lathe, perhaps even a gloat
You know what the bass player said? "Drummers can't READ!" :-) Actually, I've been thinking of changing it again to "Steve Rocker", since I what I *really* like to do is rock out on the drums and...
8
8

Re: Finishing the finish?
I bought some shellacky from him; sorry to see he's out of bidness. No kiddin' Vern! I'd wrestle a muddy pig to get a gallon of that stuff for $41. Woodcrappers wants around a hunnerd bucks for it,...
1
1

Re: “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” will be in Buffalo, NY Nov. 7 to Nov. 14, 2009
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:07:23 -0400, the infamous Nova scrawled the following: I was tapped to be the handyman for a salon makeover program last year. I declined once I saw the waiver docs. If they got...
4
4

Re: Florida Traveler Advisory - Bushnell, FL
When I was much younger I had friends who drove at the edge of consciousness - one passing out in the middle of an intersection and plowing through signs and ditches, and another who regularly smashed...
13
13

Re: My Workbench Project (Design)
IMHO, bad encounter. If you need both a "high" and a "low" bench, then build both a "high" and a "low" bench. After the bench gets built and a couple of years of "Maybe I'll use it someday" crap gets...