55 Gallon Drum Rotator Made of Wood

A while back I saw plans on the Internet for a 55 gallon drum rotator made of wood, but I don't recall where I saw that. Does anyone know where I can find plans like that?
Thanks, BJ
made of wood, but I don't recall where I saw that. Does anyone know where I can find plans like that?<<<
I recall seeing that but not sure where? Did you try searching for composter+55 gal drum? The one I recall seeing was a frame built from 2X4's and had some, I think 6" wheels for the drum to turn on. RM~

It sure doesn't sound that challenging. The trick is finding the right motor I imagine but I bet a windshield wiper motor might work with some pulley type speed reduction. Maybe you could salvage the drive wheels and transmission from a self propelled lawn mower.
Found the one I had seen before, www.solidwastedistrict.com/projects/bin_barrel.htm
RM~

I personally would mount a pair of 6 inch or so wheels at each end of based spaced maybe 12 inches or so apart so the drum could rest on them. Most hardware's have fairly inexpensive wheel in various sizes. RM~
Rob Mills wrote:

I'd agree w/ you on that...this doesn't look like it would be very sturdy at all from the description. A 1/2" rod for a 45/55 gal drum of damp material isn't much and the frame isn't all that stout, either.

That's cool. When I have some time (which will be never if I keep spending all my time in here) I think I'll make one. Prestone Hardware (Ottawa) used to sell olive barrels that would be perfect for this. Maybe they still do.

I wouldn't. Keep it simple, like it is. I'm willing to bet this one works very well.

The material shouldn't be that damp, and unless you fill it in one shot completely full of tomatoes or something, and if you follow the instructions, it won't be. I'd say my existing composter has about the same capacity as this one. It takes me most of the winter to fill it once, and after spreading it in the garden in the spring, all summer including fall cleanup to fill it again. I end up with half a dozen wheelbarrows of fine compost, not that heavy at all.
What I would do, though, is add a couple of stops on each runner so the whole thing couldn't roll off the end and drop to the ground.
- Owen -
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 23:26:40 -0400, "Owen Lawrence"

The wheel idea may actually be simpler. You could just make 2 "X" bucks with bracing between them. Mount 4 wheels on the bucks and drop the drum on them. If you found an old self propel lawn mower out for the trash man you might have all the parts and a belt drive transmission to boot, in case you wanted this to tumble automatically every once in a while. (Motor and a timer) I said earlier, a windshield wiper motor coupled to this transmission would tumble it slowly