5 year anniversary

Page 1 of 2
well I have been in business for 5 years this month. with about 2300 planes under my belt. it's hard to believe I have sold that many and have lasted that long. I have everyone here to thank for it. I sure could not do it myself. I had a lot of help and advice from everyone on the net. so thank you all for helping out.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 16:53:30 GMT, Steve Knight

Hey, thank you...

Congratulations, Steve.
You deserve every bit of your success.
djb
And as a 5th year celebration, how about a nice round of planes.... on the house. Email me for the shipping address.
:)

planes
have
of
out.
js wrote:

Now that sounds lke a plan to this Dave. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary Steve.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

hey I can't even afford the wife and I's anniversary in three days (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

planes
Congratulations, Steve!
It is tough, but rewarding, to make it in an unconventional manner these ... you can be justifiably proud of what you've accomplished.
Keep up the good work.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/15/04

You deserve your success. I've got a couple of your planes and they're well made, really nice handling tools.
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
Steve Knight wrote:

Day'um dude that's a better run that I had with my spokeshaves.

Kinky!-)
-- John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg
wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

I'm happy to say that I own fine tools from boafayas.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
I'm recalling shots of a shed like structure - orange extension cord wrapped around a 2x4 with a rather dented and dusty reflector light - gorilla glue residue, small mountains of various colored sawdust and every where parts ...
Then the various relocations of the shop - how you survived them stumps me? Vacuum pumps, so many iterations of "the ultimate dust collector", bicycles ... Throw in a daughter and wife and it's a mystery how you don't go up in a puff of smoke.
What a long strange trip it's been - so far.
You're a lucky man to be able to do what you love and love what you do. Congratulations!
charlie b
ps - Dave: Want to try some of Steve's planes?

You're gonna have to specifiy which Dave...
This Dave has two of Steve's early ones, a custom made jack/jointer combo with two blades and two frogs (the purpleheart is still purple!) that went from Portland to Melbourne FL to Saskatoon (I was going to a conference and had an associate in Portland that picked it up from Steve for me and brought it with her), and a test version of a scrub plane.
But man, I'm drooling over his current designs. Amazing how far he's come in five years, isn't it?
djb
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Sorry about the confusion - trying to avoid using the other "Dave" (sans rest of monicker (sp?)) - not to be confused with Dave the boatbuilder (google Tales of Sag Harbor) - THE Dave in my book
As for Steve's ealier planes - not the prettiest things to behold but looking nice wouldn't make them work any better. The new handles and such are nice but they're easy enough to make and add on - where and how you want them. I've got small hands (but large forehead - which proceeded all the way to the back of my neck) and some of the stock handles feel big and clunky.
Steve's been thrugh a lot with his plane making business but he pereservered through some tough times - with a lot of encouragement and help from this group. More power to him. Look foreward to congratulating him on his 10th anniversary.
charlie b

I'm with you there.
djb

A very big congratulations, Steve. I have only recently discovered the joys of wooden planes and hope to own one of yours yet. I have been here on and off for a while and still remember when you were pretty much only known here.
Here is a bit of nostalgia for you:
Steve makes his first "successful" plane (but his third ever): http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm1bdff50 .20785625%40205.147.78.11
or http://tinyurl.com/3fdxc if you wish.
May you have many more successful years ahead of you.
PK

planes
Congrats! Take a minute to pause in some self-reflection. But only a minute, that's all any self-employed individual can afford! :)
Congratulations, Steve. I still show my planes and the marking knife you made for me to everyone who enters the shop. They're all still going strong, and are my favorite hand tools.
Kevin
--
=====

"Steve Knight" < snipped-for-privacy@knight-toolworks.com> wrote in message
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
thanks everyone. now why the hell have you not made me rich??? huh? I want to know.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight wrote:

If I thought I could afford the gas for one of your planes, I'd buy one. Maybe some day.