5" ROS choices?

Page 4 of 6

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID 93&articleIDP1109
As I mentioned to Robatoy, I'm dubious about the need for the aggressive action of the Rotex series. (but I'm holding that option) As for dust extraction I have two of these: http://tinyurl.com/63tl88t
They have a "remote" on/off transmitter. I use one with my Festool TS75. It works perfectly. I feel confident that it will work with the ROS. So how well would you say the 150/5 compares to a Bosch 3727DVS? (which I have) I don't have a woodworking "business" but I do quite a bit of work "by request" for family, friends and those who might become aware of my work. Under that circumstance I'm not under any kind of production deadline but I have a real appreciation for tools that "do the job right".
Many thanks for your input.
Max
On 2/5/2011 6:13 PM, Max wrote:

I can partially help you there ... I have a Bosch 3727DEVS, which was my go to sander for face frame and panel work before I got the Rotex125, and always used after using the belt sander ... which I no longer need with the Rotex125.
There is NO comparison, although the Bosch stood me in good stead for a number of years, it has been sitting on the shelf and may not ever be used again ... I won't even bother to turn it on with this less than five feet away:
https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/FestoolStuff?authkey=Gv1sRgCL7kz_2FisWTfg#5569251562018543410
... except for any situation where I might put the Festool sanders in harms way.
:)

My mantra ... I never quibble when it comes to springing for the tools needed to get the job done. Skimp there and you negate most of the satisfaction, as well as a good deal of the time and expense of getting any project completed.
The best tools you can buy will save you money in the long run ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/5/11 6:35 PM, Swingman wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/karlcaillouet/FestoolStuff?authkey=Gv1sRgCL7kz_2FisWTfg#5569251562018543410
I hate you.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/5/2011 6:56 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

LOL ... as the say: "that there's hard earned money, son." :)
<unfortunately, I've got the aches and pains to prove every penny of it>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Now what about the new rotex, the 90? Is that just another even smaller version, or does it have capabilities not in the 125 or 150? I think the 90 is ~3.5", 125 = 5" 150 = 6". Somewhere I saw a price of ~$650 for it plus a dustextractor, but the combo description wasn't clear to me, and it in't available until March, IIRC.
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/5/2011 8:12 PM, Han wrote:

Although I just lurk there, thanks to NewsRack on my iPad, FOG (the Festool Owners Group) is full of glowing reports from Europe from those who have hands on with it.
Check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBlwS2-p6X8

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

That's one of the reasons I'm asking the question.
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/5/2011 10:15 PM, Han wrote:

See below ..

Besides being smaller, with the same dual mode charateristics as the larger multi-mode sanders, it also has "ability to swap the round pad for a delta-shaped pad to reach deep into corners and crevices."
http://rotex.festoolusa.com/sanders/features/multi-mode /
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I think I would like one of those. One of those, a TS75 along with a Rotex 150, and, whathehay one of them there 2000 watt routers, a sucker and you pretty much have a woodshop. Oh, and a MFT.
On 2/5/2011 10:15 PM, Han wrote:

Comparison chart:
http://rotex.festoolusa.com/sanders/models/comparison /
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

IIRC the 90 will add the feature of osculating to the mix of modes, basically if becomes a clone Fein Multimaster sander also.

Will the pads that fit the Bosch.....fit the Festool?
Max
Snip

I found that I use the agrssive mode more often than the fine mode. So I would not be concerned about that if you want to save time sanding. Basically the agressive mode speeds sanding. You can sand with the typical ROS for 30 minutes or the Rotex in agressive mode for 5~10 minutes, you simply move the sander more quickly to accomplish the same thing. And of course if you need to remove more material in certain spots it is very very capable of keeping up with a belt sander with out having to change sanders.
At the very least give one a work out at your local dealer or give the 30 day try at home a run for its money.

I thought Leon said that both modes of the festers were random orbit, but the video and descriptions definitely sound like one is a rotary and the other random orbit. Can you clarify? The 9-hole system sure sounds like nice tech.
-- Doubt 'til thou canst doubt no more...doubt is thought and thought is life. Systems which end doubt are devices for drugging thought. -- Albert Guerard

Dont recall saying that however I do believe Robatoy indicated something along the lines of random orbit and a more agressive random orbit but with an added circular spin with in the random orbit.
Take a look here for the Festool explanation and illustration of the difference.
http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/understanding%20the%20two%20modes%20of%20the%20rotex%20dual%20mode%20sander.pdf

Thanks. That slow-rotation rotary mode sounds much less damaging than a grinder while the random orbital motion polishes it out. Cool tool.
Now to wait for HF to release one. <snort>
-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. --Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, my old right angle PC ROS if lifted from the work would spin up to an incredable speed and if you sat it down it could do some damage, I would have to turn it off and wait for the pad to stop and begin again. With the Rotex in any mode you can lift and set it back down with out worry. Now it can do some damage because it removes stock quickly but if you are paying attention there should be no issues.

good luck. '~)
Leon wrote: ...

More recent PC's (and I presume others as well) have a "brake" to prevent that. Of course, all it is is an o-ring around the shaft and a solid spindle. When used in continuous or nearly continuous fashion the generated head gets the lower case so hot can't touch it and promotes early lower bearing failures. First thing I do w/ a new one is remove the o-ring (altho for more normal use and finish work I'd leave it since under those conditions one generally doesn't keep on running almost continuously for hours at a time as I'm used to doing on the barn...

Not sure which you are talking about, Festool uses the 150 to describe the size of a round pad. They make at least two with a 150 in the description.
If you are talking about the right angle Rotex, about $500 I would say yes it is worth the difference if you can afford one. They CAN sand 3~4 times more quickly than the typical ROS and they can sand as finely as perhaps a finish sander. Coupled with a Festool vac they have SUPERIOR dust collection. That in itself will save you time and trips to the doctor. Nothing about them feels compromised or cheap.
I have no experience with the less expensive 150 ROS sanders.
What makes the so much better? Built in Germany, not farmed out to be built cheaper by a 3rd world country. No risk guarantee, use it for 30 days and if not satisfied return it, and that is followed by a 3 year warranty.
I do however recommend the smaller 125 if you are going to be using the sander in confined tight spaces or doing face frame, cabinet door type sanding. If mostly sanding wide flat areas the 150 will be better. Keep in mind that because the Rotex sands so much more quickly it does cover a log of area much faster than a like sized competitor. IMHO the 125 is much more versatile in usage.

I just might be going for the new rotex 90 (mm), rather than the 125 mm. Seems like a better deal with more capabilities. Now how do I get a good deal on a combo with the CT26?
--
Best regards
Han