5" ROS choices?

Page 1 of 6
Anybody have current suggestions? Have used the PC 333/334's for years but they're now 343/344 and 8-hole pad instead of 5.
Anybody know if anyone's making a 5-hole any more? I am _not_ wanting to have to stock another batch of paper at this point w/ the amount of 5-hole on hand.
Anybody know if the Milwaukee 6021 (or any other suggested) pads will interchange w/ the P-C three-screw mounting? Can still get the replacement pads (or at least could a few months back); I'll swap 'em out if necessary.
OBTW, Festool/etc. is not in the price range for any suggestions... :)
dpb wrote:

Nobody has any input at all? Surprising...
On 2/2/2011 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:

I have a Bosch 6" that doesn't fit your criteria, but is a very usable tool.
In 5", I have a Festool Rotex125, but you don't want to hear about that.
There is no comparison between the two in quality and functionality.
That said, the Bosch stood me in good stead for ten years, before I knew what excellence in a ROS was all about.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

But would you risk the investment in the Festool on exterior siding in preparation for painting on old barn w/ hired help also a possibility? It's quite an abusive life and could go thru 8 or may 10 of the PC's for the loss of one light green one... :)
Owing to it being T&G cove and only 3" width, the dust-collecting ability isn't any advantage because there's not enough flat surface for even the 5" to ride on and in order to get into the cove one is always using an edge and so adding a lot of lateral movement as well. I'm too fastidious to put a tool of that type thru that kind of abuse even if it weren't the dollar output itself. :)
OTOH, if were in the shop doing your kind of work any more I'd consider it a likely choice; wish there had been such a thing available wayback while doing the ante- and early post-bellum restoration/rehab work in Lynchburg I've spoken of previously lo! those many years ago...
I'll look at the Bosch offerings and see what is there as somebody else mentioned them as well.

Dude... stop right there....
On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:36:30 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Yeah, it'd be cheaper to pre-prime/paint and reside the entire barn.
-- Woe be to him that reads but one book. -- George Herbert
On 2/2/11 8:55 AM, dpb wrote:

I just picked up a DeWalt D26451 for a bit over 50 bucks and I'm very pleased with it, so far. It's pretty quiet, doesn't give me numb-hand, and the built in dust collection is decent.
--

-MIKE-

It is hard to argue with 50 dollars, even if the performance is only at 75% to that of a Festool. ( 75% of 5 x 8 hour days, will give you an extra day off every week.) In most cases a unit like that will do the job. If the 'job' is doing a lot of 'jobs', the extra spent on a Festool or other genuine pro products, quickly becomes a wise and pleasant investment. That's not to say that Leon's desire to sand rather than sleep isn't genuine, but even a Festool sander doesn't quite make the cut, so to speak. Maybe that frickin' Mirka might...18 amps.. EIGHTEEN !! Bet the frickin' thing smells nice too...dammit.
If the 6" Ridgid in its recent incarnation is any indication, the 5" will probably suck too. IMHO, you really can't go wrong with Bosch or Milwaukee in most cases.
On 2/2/11 12:22 PM, Robatoy wrote:

If I had a job that required a bunch of sanding, I would probably pop $170 on that Festool 125 ROS and hook it up to a shop vac. Until I have "someone else" paying for it, I can't justify.
--

-MIKE-

On 2/2/11 2:35 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Or if I had a really sweet gig, right now. :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote: ...

I thought it was closer to 2X that... ?
On 2/2/11 3:42 PM, dpb wrote:

Google Products search shows it at $170, everywhere.
There are a few different models.... <http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2006177/FESTOOL-Random-Orbit-Sander.aspx
--

-MIKE-

You have to be specific as the 125 more describes a round 5" sander, not one in particular as indicated below.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2006180/17571/Festool-Rotex-Dual-Mode-Sander-RO-125-5-Dia.aspx
The Rotex indicated above is in a class all by itself as far as speed and quality of output and the Rotex is the unit that Swingman, Robatoy, and I are most always talking about.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2006180/17571/Festool-Rotex-Dual-Mode-Sander-RO-125-5-Dia.aspx
system,
What are your thoughts on them?
Do you feel old fashioned and behind the times yet? ;-)
On 2/2/2011 5:27 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

The new sander is the RO-90 ... check it out on youtube. Dealers are taking orders on them but they either just arrived here in the US/Canada, or will shortly.
Awesome piece of machinery, a lot of dynamite in a small package.

There's always bigger and better no matter what ... always a better bass player, guitar player, drummer, somebody with a bigger deck, etc. wherever you go, so you learn to get used to it. :)
IOW, do/buy something you get satisfaction out of and resist looking back.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Rotex... that's the key word, indeed.

There is a Festool ROS that is considerable less expensive than the Rotex125/150. It is more of a finish sander rather than an all around agressive/finish sander. And yes the Rotex 125/150 are $400/$500 respectively IIRC.
On 2/2/2011 4:59 PM, Leon wrote:

I'm glad I took your advice and bought into the Festool sander gig, and I'm glad I took your advice and got the Rotex125 instead of the 150.
I tend to go toward bigger is better in that kind of tool (the more surface area the quicker I'm done kinda thinking), but the 150 would be a bit much to handle in the marathon sanding sessions that I'm wont to do when I finally get started.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

errrmmm... the 150 Rotex is a totally different sander doing much more amazing things...stay tuned...LOL