5" Random orbit sander operation

it will spin as needed. If you push down on the sander it doesn't spin, takes a light touch, rest the sander on the wood and just gently rest your hand on top, just enough to hold it in place and it should start to spin and pick up speed.

Reply to
Eugene

I purchased a 5" PC 333VS for my wife to use while working on sanding our dining room chairs and refinishing them - something she wanted to do! It's great to have her in the garage with me - reduces my guilt.

I didn't own a small ROS sander and read this was the best of the bunch. I set it up with the vac attached and a fresh sanding disk and handed it to her to start sanding. It seemed to work well but the disk didn't rotate, just seemed to vibrate. My 6" Bosch rotates while it vibrates randomly so I'm not sure if the thing is working properly or not. Can anyone tell me if it's working correctly or not?

Thanks.

Reply to
MH

It probably is. Mine doesn't spin either, but it works well.

Does it remove material? If it does, it's working.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

The 333 has a slip clutch to prevent gouging the work when you put the sander down. When you lift the sander, it will stop spinning but it will vibrate. When you put it down on the wood, it will spin up. this is a good thing.

It's a great ROS!

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

It may or may not spin. The question should be, is it removing material properly? Is you wife pressing down too hard? Remind her to let the weight of the sander do the work.

Reply to
Leon

Just in case I misunderstood - remove the sanding disc. Turn sander upside down and turn it on. the pad should not be spinning. Apply pressure with your finger in the middle of the pad - it should start spinning.

If it does not, there's a small rubber belt under the pad mechanism that may be broken.

HTH,

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

Can anyone tell me how the smaller ROS sanders are supposed to operate? I purchased a PC 333VS and it doesn't rotate, just oscillates. My Bosch 6" ROS rotates and oscillates so I'm not sure if the unit is working properly or not. I tried the PC help site but got no response.

Thanks

MH

Reply to
MH

I don't have a VS, just a 333 so this is a guess. Have you tried playing with the variable speed control? It might be that it can be varied to no rotation.

Reply to
Paul Irwin

I do have the 333VS and it does rotate. But only when it is in contact with something. When you pick it up it stops rotating. This is the way its supposed to work. Mike

Reply to
Mike Myers

Thank you for the answer! I agree, it's a nice tool. Then again all the PC products seem to be very good....

Reply to
MH