5/4 Decking?

I don't know too much about how wood is cut (obviously).
I've seen a lot of people refer to 5/4 cut wood.
What does that mean, exactly?
Thanks!

Five quarters. 1 and 1/4 inches, rough cut.
djb
--
"I don't always know what I'm talking about, but I know I'm right." -- Muhammad
Ali

Rough wood, at one stage of its trip to your shop, is reckoned in 1/4" increments in nominal thickness ... or thereabouts.
IOW, a 5/4 (five quarter) board would measure 1 1/4" in nominal thickness, a 12/4 board 3" in nominal thickness, and so on..
A 4/4 board, sold as "dimensioned lumber", or after you have joined and planed it, would have an actual finished thickness of 3/4".
In figuring board feet, lumber retailers sell you 3/4" thick "dimensioned lumber", but calcuate the board feet using the 4/4 "nominal" thickness.
For sheet goods, like decking, all bets are off and it is not necessarily the same. 5/4 decking is usually about 1 1/16" in finished thickness, IME.
There's more to it, but that should get you started in tlaking the lingo at a hardwood lumber yard.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/28/03