5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches long

I need a stainless steel full thread 5/16 carriage bolt 6 1/2 inches long. My local Lowes nor Home Depot have them. I tried several searches on Google no no effect. Does anybody know where I might find them. Lowes has a zink plated bolt 7 inches long but if I cut it down I'm afraid it will rust, which is a definite no-no because I'm making products to sell. Thanks, paul
sam wrote:

Boat parts and accessories stores carry stainless steel, brass and bronze nuts, bolts and screws
charlieb wrote:

Fastenal has zinc and galvanized 6-1/2 that according to the photo in the catalog are full thread, for pretty cheap.
A quick googling on "5/16 6-1/2 stainless carriage" got me to http://www.manasquanfasteners.com/carriage_bolts_5_16 . I've not done business with them but it looks like they have what is requested for about $3.50 a shot.
If the OP is in the Hartford area, then he should give Eckart & Finard a call.

Where do you live? Most cities of any size have industrial fastener houses. You can walk in the door and buy them. Big box stores are a lousy place to buy fasteners. I haven't seen stainless steel carriage bolts in that length. Perhaps a stainless steel specialty fastener company could help you.

Doubt you will find them. McMaster only goes to 6" in 5/16. If you go to 3/8" you can get the 6 1/2" but be prepared to pay $4.37 each. Hot dipped galvanized is only 73, or zinc plated are 75.
Fastenal has 5/6 x 6 1/2, but not in stainless.
You need to learn to use your computer searches better. www.mcmaster.com www.fastenal.com
sam wrote:

I've bought stainless steel nuts, bolts, and washers from this outfit in Virginia and have liked both the quality and the prices:
http://www.winkfast.com/carriage-bolts.html
> I'm making products to sell.
That's good because these folks require a $75 (minimum) order.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

An afterthought: If these folks have what you want, but you don't want to order that much at a time, you're invited to e-mail me - I'm wanting to order 1/2-20 x 8" stainless button head cap screws and we may be able to combine orders. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 02:50:56 -0500, sam wrote:

FYI:
McMaster-Carr dose *not* carry ss, 5/16, 6.5" long. Change any of your specifications (length, ss, size) and you may find something.
however, a 3/8, ss, 6.5" square neck carriage bolt is $4.37 per bolt plus shipping.
It seems that for a 5/16 carriage bolt, 6 inches seems to be it at on the Web industrial supply houses I checked. As someone else pointed out you may need an industrial fastener supply house.
Or better yet, check out Tom Cat, (Thomas Catalog: www.thomasnet.com) for manufacturer / distributor of your bolt needs. My quick (very quick) look at Tom Cat seems that for SS, 5/16 at 6.5" is a special order bolt. Listed companies in Tom Cat will make bolts to your CAD drawing for a setup fee, and a cost per bolt. Probably a minimum size production run quantity or a minimum invoice amount also.
But stainless steel at that size and length sure seems an expensive way to go.
"sam" wrote:

Jamestown Distributors
$3.19 Ea + Shipping.
Won't be full thread, but that's simple to modify in your shop.
Lew
On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 13:41:11 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Interesting site. And a whole lot of On-line documents and how-to
Thanks for the link.
sam wrote:

I didn't check the catalog, but try your local Fastenal distributor first. Depending on whether you're in sizable metro area or not, the number of other distributors may vary; yellow pages are place to start.
Someone else may have mentioned them, too, already; but what I didn't see asked was "what's the application that needs that long a bolt w/ full thread?" (Inquiring minds, etc., ... :) )
dpb wrote:

want. I meant to say Zinc coated steel. Thats what the Local Lowes sells , and the shiny finish will be fine, only if I don't have to cut it. For those interested, I'm building small looms of the inkle type. The bolt will go through a wooden dowel five inches long and then tru a 3/4 inch piece of wood.
sam wrote: ...

It wouldn't seem that would be an application subject to wet conditions so don't see that there would be much risk at all for rusting to be an issue if you did shorten them.
dpb wrote:

try to put the most I possibly can in to anything I build. Good enough is not good enough. :)

Try here. You may have to compromize...
http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=6&cs=8&cm=6&cd=74
Paul,
Take a look at this site.
http://www.nutty.com /
They don't list a 5/16" - 6 1/2" stainless steel carriage bolt on their website, but it might be worth a call.
That said, I think that I read that you found that you don't actually need a stainless steel fastener, so this site may not be of any use to you, other than saving it for future reference.
I've never used them, but had been referred to them by a now defunct hardware store when I was looking for some obscure bolt. YMMV.
Peter.

Try here. You may have to compromize...
http://www.boltdepot.com/product.aspx?cc=6&cs=8&cm=6&cdt

Would it be possible to use an acorn nut to cover the cut end of the bolt?
HTH, Jeffo

just need an extra nut