$49 Ryobi OS sander at the Borg

Page 1 of 2
I can confirm an earlier post, the local Borg (HD) has the Ryobi OS sander, normally $99, marked down to $49. Not exact my DREAM OS sander, but for $49, one followed me home this afternoon
Hefty bugger for such a cheap thing.
John
Hi John,
Although I bought the Delta OSS for $152 from Amazon, I too almost convinced myself on the Ryobi (then $99). How can you go wrong for $49 for casual use? Nice heavy top and all the inserts too.
For heavy use, buy 2 and toss the first when it misbehaves!
Hope it works out for you.
Lou

$49 is a great price for a sander with a cast iron top. Also, HD has the Delta mortising kit (for a drill press) marked down to $33.

Do you have a product number for the $50 Ryobi sander? The only one I can find on homedepot.com is a cheapo Ryobi ROS for $35. (model number RS241).
I'm guessing it is the OSS500. See http://tinyurl.com/4g4wd .
I'm going to go to HD at lunchtime today and take a look.
--mike
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

I went yesterday, a lot of Borgs are out of it, all in fact in NJ. The Ryobi model is indeed OSS500, and I was told it was being discontinued, hence the clearance price. Since Ryobi is generally a "house" brand for HD, I wonder about that.
emelbee wrote:

number
Register receipt says - 033287125777 Spindle Sander
The Ryobi model is OSS500
John

I'd sure like to know where you guys are shopping ??
Went over to the local Borg this afternoon. Had a 'used' unit on display {thin spindle/sanding roll gummed up, other rollers & parts laying beside it} - marked down to $87 {from the original $99}. The only guy there {'bad' English and obviously not a clue}checked, then said it was the last one and couldn't sell it. Also NO more on order.
Figured I'd talk to the manager, make 'him' an offer . . . {can't sell it, can't return it to Ryobi - it's obviously used with no box, instructions, etc.}. An 'as is' used unit, that may not even work {it was returned for SOME reason}, I mentally figured $25 was fair. Anyway, asked to see the Manager at 'Customer Service'. 'She' wasn't there, so they paged her. A while later the girl I talked to asked me what I wanted to talk about. I gave her the highlights. A bit later, with the phone to her ear, she asked me again - 'translating' to the manager {in the break room, on the other side of the store, 5-minutes away ???}. Asked me what it was marked, then said, ' $50 and 'as is' '. When I said it may not even work, all she did was shrug her shoulders.
I just shook my head and walked out . . . obviously they would rather 'eat it' than but income toward overhead. Yet they are corporately growing . . . everything to the 'lowest common denominator' of intelligence.
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

Mine was purchased in the Panama City, FL Home Depot - $49
John

Ron Magen writes:

Some day, I'd like to see "same store" figures on actual growth for places like Lowe's, HD, WalMart. They continue to grow, leaping and bounding across the prairies and the mountains, but I don't think individual stores are growing all that much. I live in an area where five years ago, there were probably two WalMart stores and one Lowe's. We now have two Lowe's (and one HD), but something close to 10 WMs in a 40 mile radius (that may be way on the low side: I haven't really checked around Lynchburg, and I didn't count the two Sam's which is nothing but WM on steroids).
The concept is simple: move into a new area, push evveryone else to the wall, grow like crazy for two or three yeas, then go down the road four or five miles (or less) and build a new store which does the same.
I wonder if it never occurs to the MBAs who foist this off as business planning that there really is a finite number of people in this world with the money to buy the products they want to sell. If it never occurs to them, then they are even stupider than I think they are...and that is damned near impossible.
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000
Charlie Self wrote:

did was

rather 'eat

growing . . .

places like

across the

growing all

probably two

but
low side:

Sam's
the wall,

five miles

business planning

money to

they are

impossible.
it's some

November 2,
That'e why they are refferred to as the Borg here. They come in asssimilate and spread and are one.
Excerpts from Home Depot's 2003 10-K filing with the SEC show that same stores increased sales by 3.8% and that there is a specific intent to open new stores within the fringes of existing stores areas and they measure the "cannibalization" impact of these decisions. I am sure that you can find the same info for Wal-Mart and Lowes in their 10-K's, available on the SEC's web-site. BTW, Charlie, those "stupid" MBA's seemed to have created a $65 billion business.

"Fiscal 2003 Compared to Fiscal 2002
Net Sales for fiscal 2003 increased 11.3% to $64.8 billion from $58.2 billion in fiscal 2002. Fiscal 2003 Net Sales growth was driven by an increase in comparable store sales of 3.8%, sales from the 175 new stores opened during fiscal 2003 and sales from the 203 new stores opened during fiscal 2002. We plan to open 175 new stores during the fiscal year ending January 30, 2005 ("fiscal 2004"). We expect Net Sales growth of 9% to 12% for fiscal 2004 driven by comparable store sales, the planned addition of 175 new stores and sales from the 175 stores opened during fiscal 2003.
The increase in comparable store sales in fiscal 2003 reflects a number of factors. Comparable store sales in fiscal 2003 were positive in 10 of the 11 selling departments. Our lawn and garden category was the biggest driver of the increase in comparable store sales for fiscal 2003, reflecting strong sales in outdoor power equipment, including John Deere tractors and walk-behind mowers, as well as snow throwers and snow blowers. Lumber was another strong category during fiscal 2003, driven primarily by commodity price inflation. Additionally, we had strong sales growth in our kitchen and bath categories and in our paint department reflecting the positive impact of new merchandising initiatives. During fiscal 2003, we added our Appliance initiative to 826 of our stores bringing the total number of stores with our Appliance initiative to 1,569 as of the end of fiscal 2003. Additionally, during fiscal 2003, each store was set with our new Color Solutions Center, which drove sales growth in interior and exterior paint, as well as pressure washers. Finally, our comparable store sales growth in fiscal 2003 reflects the impact of cannibalization.
In order to meet our customer service objectives, we strategically open stores near market areas served by existing stores ("cannibalize") to enhance service levels, gain incremental sales and increase market penetration. As of the end of fiscal 2003, certain new stores cannibalized approximately 17% of our existing stores and we estimate that store cannibalization reduced fiscal 2003 comparable store sales by approximately 2.7%. Additionally, we believe that our sales performance has been, and could continue to be, negatively impacted by the level of competition that we encounter in various markets. However, due to the highly-fragmented U.S. home improvement industry, in which we estimate our market share is approximately 11%, measuring the impact on our sales by our competitors is extremely difficult.
Comparable store sales in fiscal 2004 are expected to increase 3% to 6%. We expect our comparable store sales to be favorably impacted by the introduction of innovative new and distinctive merchandise as well as positive customer reaction to our store modernization program. Our store modernization program, which includes merchandising resets, complete store remodels and new signing, lighting and flooring packages, is enhancing our customers' shopping experience. We do not believe that changing prices for commodities will have a material effect on Net Sales or results of operations in fiscal 2004. Our projected fiscal 2004 comparable store sales increase reflects our projected impact of cannibalization of approximately 2%. "
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

Now,now, Charlie, you're talking about long term planning. Those MBAs can't see beyond the next quarter earnings and their related quarterly bonuses.

Ron Magen wrote:

[snip]
Similar story here but with a MUCH happier ending. Third BORG I hit had a single unit on display and marked down to $49.00. Clerk (cashier, actually) checked for me and could not find another. Their computer said they were out and none were expected.
No other area stores had one.
I asked to purchase the display model and asked her to get clearance to do it while I went back and double-checked the display. I found it complete and undamaged with the exception of no sanding drums (unit is supposed to come with 18 drums of various size and grit), no manual and no wrench. The inserts for the tabletop and all the rubber drums were there.
She gained approval to sell the display unit at an additional 10% discount but I, not wanting to have to spend ~$30 for the sandpaper cylinders, said I'd pay the full $49 if they would give me three packs of the sandpaper cylinders which they were selling for $9.88 each.
That was also approved but in order to register the sale and maintain inventory control, they could not just "give" me them but had to charge me a penny each.
Done deal! For $49.03 I got the same thing as the boxed version less a stamped wrench and owners manual. Color me happy.
Bob

I only own two Ryobi tools - the OSS is one. I like it. I think you'll like it too.
Yeah but why bother when the much superior Ridgid, Dewalt and PC can be had for $10 more? max

Max -
Ok, I'll bite. What comparable products ARE made by Porter Cable (none that i can find) or Dewalt (none that I can find) or Rigid for $59???
John

Yeah, I don't know what Max is referring to, either. HD has a Rigid unit for $200, but it has both oscillating belt and spindle.

I bought the Ridgid at Home Depot or $59. The PC 333k is $65 at Amazon and the Dewalt DW 421 is $50 at Amazon max

Max
Hard to believe since Porter Cable and Dewalt DON'T make one, and the only thing comparable from Rigid is around $200
Is it possible you are confused as to what a OS sander is? OSCILLATING SPINDLE SANDER?? weighs about 50pounds in the Ryobi machine and comes in a box about 2x2x2?? Are you confusing this with RO sander (random orbit sanders)??
Otherwise let us know the MODEL of the Rigid Oscillating Spindle sander you bought for $59, they list for right at $200, and the PC333k and the DW 421 ARE NOT Osciallating Spindle Sanders, they are Random Orbit Sanders, sorta like comparing Golf Carts to Mac Trucks
Might want to read the postings a bit carefuller BEFORE stepping on your wang with stuff like this
John