Subject Author Posted Replies

Chisel Plane (DIY)
Make a chisel plane from a chisel and scrap wood. It can be used as either a rabbeting plane or a shoulder plane. Experiment with different bevel angles and bevel up or down! Let me know your...
8
8

O/T: Nookie Green
Speaking of colors. Enjoy Lew ---------------------------------------- An Irish man went to confession in St. Patrick Catholic Church.. 'Father', he confessed, 'it has been one month since my last...
4
4

Some serious wood projects
Someone has a lot of time and patience. Very cool stuff. http://completeall.com/Art-and-Design/Creativity-From-Wood-and-Timber.html
1
1

Trying to square a 4x4 piece of hard maple
I am making a kitchen island that will have 3.5" square legs made from maple. I bought 2 pieces of 16/4 hard maple about 8.5" wide and ripped each one in half leaving me 4 rough ~4x4 pieces about 4...
32
32

Coping crown molding
A recent discussion included what looked like a portable bandsaw being used for coping crown molding, I remember seeing this coping foot attachment for jigsaws. I was wondering if anyone owned or has...
10
10

Cutting down strip nails-anyone try this?
I purchased a variety pack of 18 ga. stainless brads with 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2", and 2" lengths. When I received it I then remembered that my nailer can only use up to 1 1/4". I am considering clamping...
4
4

O/T: 2010 College Football
OHIO STATE..................37 Michigan.............................7 It's been a successful season. Lew
12
12

Newbe drilling question
I'm assuming that if trying to drill overlapping 3/8" holes in the side of 2by4 stock, that using forstner bits will be much easier than using ordinary drill bits. This is true, isn't it? Bill
33
33

Budget Hardwood Flooring Brain-fart
Be sure to check the boxes next time you think you're getting a great deal on hardwood flooring. You might be buying hardwood "tiles." A closeout store nearby with *really* inexpensive hardwood,...

OT: Adams again
While looking up the quote from John Adams I used in a prior post, I ran across this one and thought some might like it: "The priesthood have, in all ancient nations, nearly monopolized learning. Read...
2
2

OT: as OT as OT gets. I had my last Peanut Butter Cup.
No more Hershey products for me. (Haven't consciously bought a Coke product since 1985 either.) Hershey Chocolate sues competitor Mars for trademark and copyright infringement, because Mars' wrappers...
108
108

OT: Blind Salesman
For you, Lew, for posting other groaners. Payback time. ;) A woman goes into the local ?big box? retailer to buy a rod and reel for her grandson's birthday. She doesn't know which one to get so she...
2
2

Stanley #80
I just picked up a Stanley #80 and was wanting to pick up a couple of spare blades for it. I have two questions: Are the Stanley #80 and the Veritas #80 blades interchangeable? How significant a...
3
3

Caulking trim ???
(Inspired by a previous thread) What do people use to caulk trim with? I typically do caulk most of my white trim and it looks much better and finished. Trouble is: the usual stuff turns a little...
5
5

Purpose of Relief Cut on Back of Baseboard Molding
Baseboard moldings always have a cutout on the back side. What is its purpose? Is it there to relieve cupping stresses? Or maybe to just allow for flat placement over imperfections in the wall? Anyone...
50
50