Subject Author Posted Replies

Re varnishing oak. Oil based poly over ?
It is not always safe to put poly over lacquer. So if the current finish is lacquer then you may have a problem is that lacquer can dissolve from the solvents in the poly and then the lacquer dries...
6
6

OT: But not really OT..this could be my next project.
Cut a flourish on the cnc, then vacuum form a bunch of them...mmmmm guys are having way too much fun... although I absolutely understand and want some of that fun..) http://tinyurl.com/4fj5h4g
55
55

OT: Curl up with a book....
and you might die laughing. See: you can find a volume that will do double duty as both a go(ing)-away gift and next year's Xmas present. And there is both metal and wood content. Funnier yet, some of...
40
40

Fun router technique question
I needed to take a fun break from worrying about the Federal Reserve System. : ) I placed a drawing of a pencil holder (feature) of something I am designing. Please take a look on my web site if you...
34
34

Playing the Building by David Byrne
Just ran across this and wanted to share it. From Wikipedia's article on David Byrne: In 2008, Byrne and his production team programmed the Battery Maritime Building, a 99-year-old ferry terminal in...
23
23

Abranet sanding disc problem
A couple of years ago I got a selection of Abranet sanding discs (80 - 600) as well as a backup pad to fit my PC ROS. I haven't used them a whole lot but now I am doing a LOT of sanding. All of a...
18
18

Another wood source in North Texas
FYI... http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mat/2172421582.html

quarter sawn white oak in Texas
Found this on Dallas/Ft.Worth Craigslist. Thought you guys might find it interesting. I mailed him for directions to see this and am including the text of his reply. >

cold
minus 4 F Maybe I should turn the heat on? /canuckistani
51
51

OT: Spot Lighting
Feeding live brine shrimp to the saltwater fish this evening using a flash light to get the shrimp congregated at one spot in their container and I thought I heard a little voice say "Don't go into...
2
2

"shimming" vise pads
I recently picked up an old, used, Wilton "L" shaped quick release wood vise... (39 bucks newly listed off ebay) After a little cobbling around, I've got the thing mounted on my bench, and I'm very...
16
16

OT Hans Rosling's 200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes - The Joy of Stats - BBC Four
Pretty cool video. I'll have to check out more episodes of that program. Very well done and he makes it interesting.
4
4

Safety-Guard SACRILEGE.
Ok I pretty much lurk here except to milk you guys for information once and a while, but the SawStop posts and safety debates have piqued my interest. I work in a shop with about a dozen other guys...
69
69

concrete slab
I am closing on a house next week. The owner is removing their hot tub but I have also told them they must remove the concrete slab. Is there any problem with removing a slab (it's about 5' X...
13
13

Woodcarving
I went to the woodworking show today in Indianapolis. Very crowded! The only instructional presentation I was able to see very well was on inlay/marquetry. I picked up a few tips which I'm sure will...
12
12