Subject Author Posted Replies

How not to use a router
My arm has been in bandages from beyond my fingers to just short of my elbow for four weeks. All because I was in a hurry and could not take the time to install the handles on my 1 3/4 hp Porta-Cable...
19
19

Curly Maple finish?
Greetings, I am working with curly maple for the first time, making a folding candleholder: usual, I am working "on a shoestring", with minimal tools, finishes, etc. I have some dark walnut and other...
15
15

Getting Irwin Record WW Vises in US
This looks like a pretty nice vise: Irwin Record 53ED Woodworking Vice 10.1/2in with Quick Release & Dog How come they can't ship them to the U.S.A.? Irwin seems to sell plenty of other stuff in the...
6
6

rough cut
I was involved in a 'discussion' with someone else and was viewing the whole thing subjectively. You are of course right, and it is being inflicted on the newsgroup. I made my point and have nothing...
95
95

Recommendation for Attic Ladders?
Does anyone have a recommendation for a well insulated wood attic ladder that uses very sturdy and deep steps? I'm looking for about a 6 inch depth.
4
4

My favorite pastime ...
.... by a long shot, is NOT sanding! Only task I dislike worse in this business is staining/finishing. Today ... six straight hours of sanding, through three grits, a kitchen full of dovetailed, 3/4"...
23
23

Some cnc work:
This is kinda fun for me: http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/BGSign.jpghttp://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/BGSigndetail.jpg
14
14

Jointer for sale -- no motor
The motor on my Jet 6" jointer is shot. The motor guys around town tell me I can expect to invest $150 to $200 for a new motor, so I'm going to CL a new (to me) jointer. If anyone in the Milwaukee...

Niggling drill bit issue
I've got a little John Nelson plan for a dinner-table-type folding candle-holder that's full of "Gotcha's". One is candle size. I need to drill hard curly-maple for the base of the candles. Nelson sez...
38
38

MDF vs Plywood as building material
My father is installing a pocket door, and he has to narrow the doorway by 1 inch on the pocket side of the pocket door. He has 3/4" oak strips he'd like to use. He was thinking of using 1/4" plywood...
2
2

What is it? Set 373
A new set of photos has been added to the web site: http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/01/set-373.htmlRob
56
56

Sanding belts
Out of curiosity, has anyone had problems with new but relatively old sanding belts failing at the seam? I hadn't used my 4x24 belt sander in quite some time but I had a stock of belts on hand. I had...
15
15

Hardwood countertop
I see a lot of "butcher block" countertops, no doubt made of edge glued 2 x 2 's ? -- but why can't you make a top from 1 by material as well? Like perhaps edge glued 1 x 8 maple, 4 boards across for...
22
22

O.T. Euphemism runs amok.
I couldn't resist copying this from a posting on Language abuse is alive and kicking! Went to RBC (a bank) on Georgia. "We're temporarily closed," said a woman at the door. "Is that it?" I asked. "Is...
51
51

how to make built ins
i have been making a mini series on how I make custom cabinets and have posted them over at you tube. I live in North Carolina, and build entertainment centers professionally. thought you all might...
5
5