Subject Author Posted Replies

Joining two thick Maple "butcher blocks"
I found two three foot long, fourteen inch wide table inserts constructed of (one and three quarter inch) thick Maple strips (each "strip" actually several short pieces finger-jointed into a longer...
10
10

Floor Scraper (Festool?)
I , not long ago either read an article or saw an advertisement about a power scraper for creating the hand scraped effect on new or old flooring Can't find any information on how to do it! I believe...
4
4

Plate joiner question
Hi folks, The Porter Cable plate joiner has a second, smaller blade for cutting groves for face frames. Size FF buiscuts are used. Has anyone used the PC plate joiner? Recommended? And, how well does...
15
15

O/T: Welcome to $4/gal gasoline
Continued unrest in the MidEast. How long before $5/gal gasoline. Noticed the cost of food lately? You betcha, let's dig for more oil, that's the answer. Wonder why the 5th fleet is located where it...
84
84

FYI--Tools
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/2224728314.html
1
1

Ongoing Shop Stuff: Mission Hall Table
Always interested in playing around with available, preferably free, technology, and attempting to gauge how it fits in with woodworking projects and the building and sharing of same with those of...
35
35

Brass + epoxy + wood
I want to inset a strip of 1/8 X 1/2 brass along the edge of a piece of wood. I would prefer to epoxy it on rather than use screws but I don't know how well the two will stick together. Are they...
7
7

Diamonds galore: FYI
A while back I needed to cut some narrow lines in stucco and Googled for diamond burrs. I found lots but this one... a large variety at *very* good prices (IMO). The shipping was quick and very...
1
1

Stickers,skids, sleepers, cribbing, spacers, etc...
So I always thought that skids were the 4x4x~40" chunks of wood that were used to keep piles of wood off the floor so a forklift could get under and between stacks. Is this right? At work everyone...
4
4

Printing/stamping on wood - in color.
So I've put brands on wood using branding irons, but I'd like to try to do a similar type thing with color. What I'm thinking is some sort of metal stamp that can be inked and pressed into the wood,...
9
9

Forstner Bit Problem
I was attempting to drill some holes in laminated counter-top material using a "Forstner" bit in a hand drill and after 5 to 10 seconds barely managed to chip the laminate itself. I figured that...
31
31

Ping: Robatoy
This is right up your alley. Forget about the CNC sign making - make human body parts! can just imagine the conversations... "Gawd-DAMMIT! Who didn't replace the nipple cartridge in the printer?!...
5
5

slightly OT: LV plane for UHMW plastic
My former staff (I was "dismissed without cause" from my job of 16 years recently) geve me a $150 gift card for Lee Valley. One of the tools I bought is their miniature edge plane . I've been doing...
60
60

Saw perfectly straight line with scroll saw
2
2

Hull-Oakes Steam Sawmill
I had never seen this, until today. Pretty neat operation. http://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/HullOaks.htmSonny