Subject Author Posted Replies

Shellac
Rubbing shellac with steel wool produces a beautiful low-gloss finish that is flat and smooth. I did not know this until a couple of days ago when I came across some steel wool that had been left out....
34
34

Air drying lumber properly
For 8ft long lumber, how many supports should one use when air drying? I bought a dozen 2x12 x 8ft boards at the local big box store. Geez talk about mediocre wood. Most were pretty damp and I am...
20
20

Removing wax coating from wood blank
What is the best way to remove this wax? I have skim cut the edges on the table saw, now I need to get it off the top and bottom surfaces, and due to the dimensions I don't want to try skim cutting...
12
12

Are big drawers a bad idea?
The kitchen island I am finishing is planned to have 2 regular drawers on t= op, side by side. Then 2 large drawers below, 1on top of the other. These= 2 will be 9.5x36x20. My friend was saying he...
23
23

OT - Emergency Gen Circuit
I know this is OT for this group. But I also know there are several here who are resourceful enough to have done something similar. We own a 5000/6260 Watt generator that is used for temporary...
38
38

Anybody used Marvin Tilt Pac(r) replacement sash kits?
Any inputs appreciated, if so (or other recommendations) >>Project is new construction but to match at least in appearance previous ca 1900 double hungs w/ leaded glass uppers but with the facility...
1
1

Finish for Kitchen Island
I am just finishing my kitchen island, made primarily of Birdseye Maple. M= y question is regarding finish. I really would like to use something that = will pop the grain as much as possible. So, I...
4
4

round and round
I've got some 4" sq x 2" thick pieces of various woods. I need to make them as round as possible (so I end up with 4" disks, 2" thick). I don't have a lathe (yet). I've got a bandsaw, a drill press,...
15
15

Molding Profile Help
I am trying to figure out the name of a type of molding profile. I believe it was used years ago to hide joints in paneling before tee strips. In profile it looks like 1/4th a dowel if it were sliced...
17
17

Wood
-------------------------------------- Check out Baltek, a distributor or core materials used to produce laminated sandwich core lay-ups. These days, a lot of balsa core is being used with carbon...
33
33

What is it? Set 385
I need some help with the second last item this week: http://55tools.blogspot.com/2011/04/set-385.htmlRob
40
40

SawStop Table saw used in movie Arthur
The protective nature of the SawStop mechanism was demonstrated in the movie "Arthur" as his future Father-in-Law forces Arthur's head down and against the saw blade making him cause an emergency stop...
7
7

woodworking
I ran across this site. If you are in to woodworking, this is a great place to get ideas from other builders. This is especially good if you can't afford expensive machines. projects = machines =

Lumber prices - Philly - NJ
My buddy wants to build some planters and benches for his deck. He has Norm's plans: we stop today at a random lumber yard to get a price on Cedar. Price for 'A' grade (only pin sized knots) minimum...
8
8

What about staining old weathered wood?
Hello, I'm NOT a woodworking expert, even in my imagination. At the place we rent, there is an old wood swing in the back yard. To the best I can tell, it has never been painted nor stained. It is...
6
6