4 places, 4 woods -- help me find....

I want to build a scotch cabinet and use woods from the 4 places I've lived:
-- persimmon from western South Carolina -- eucalyptus from Southern California -- aspen from Colorado -- Osage orange from Texas
Note: Osage orange is also known as hedge apple, bodark, bois d'arc, and bowwood.
Since I currently live in Colorado, I can find aspen. I need your help on the other three. Where can I order them?
BTW, maybe mesquite is a better choice for Texas.... Also, maybe there's a better choice for southern California, too. Any suggestions?
just use mdf
-
or plywood. use nails and a can a paint..
-
Never Enough Money:

Woodfinder.com

(snip)
Perhaps there is a better choice for Southern California, it is hard to imagine that all that state can come up with is an Aussie tree.
Mekon
Mekon wrote:
> Perhaps there is a better choice for Southern California, it is hard to > imagine that all that state can come up with is an Aussie tree.
Those Aussie trees are all over the place and the roots are screwing up the sewers, sidewalks, streets, etc worse than a soft Maple or a weeping willow.
People start to bitch when the street crews go down the streets cutting them down, but they have little choice.
Native California trees include the giant redwood.
Lew

Yeah, and they exude a poison from their roots which reduces the viability of plants that would otherwise be competition for Australia's poor shallow soil and low water.
They don't belong there.
Mekon
<snip>

In SoCal? Thought those stopped at the Tehacapi Range.
Maybe something in a native oak? Nice and gnarly...
Patriarch, near San Francisco...

Live Oak, Madrone, Sweet Gum, etc.
scott
Well, you are one lucky guy on persimmon
http://www.innernet.net/galleryofwood/pricelist.htm
Never Enough Money wrote:

Never Enough Money wrote:

Trees native to California that you might consider:
1) Madrone - I don't know much about this one, but I found some burl pieces on Ebay: Take a look as Ebay Item # 330055240032 2) Coast Redwood. Redwood burls and pieces with dramatic curly figure are available. Beautiful stuff! Take a look as Ebay Item # 120057930183 3) California Laurel AKA Bay Laurel- can have some pretty dramatic figure - curly or burl. If it comes from Oregon it's called Oregon Myrtle, but it's the same tree. Take a look as Ebay Item # 330055702967 4) Claro Walnut - comes mostly from hybrid trees that are found in the walnut orchards that you find all over the Central Valley in California. Beautiful stuff! Take a look as Ebay Item # 150064590526
Good luck!
--Steve
Steve wrote:

And it is more common than mesquite.

California live oak too.
If orchard woods are acceptible, maybe you could find Almond. The almond wood I saw in California had gorgeous chatoyance. Unfortunately, it was already firewood.
--

FF

I have been thinking about building a Scotch cabinet too, the colour of the scotch is so beautiful I was thinking of making the back out of opaque white perspex and lighting from behind, so a soft even light would pass through the whiskey and show the colour off to its best.
Mekon
Never Enough Money wrote:

<SNIP>
You could use any wood from either a fruit tree or a nut tree.
Glen

I've Never used any of these vendors myself, but I saw all of them mentioned here in the wreck at one time or another:
http://www.texaswoodcrafts.net / http://www.texaskilnproducts.com/txkiln1.html http://www.mgsawmill.com/product.htm
If you use one of them, I'd be curious to know about your experiences as I'd like to order some Mesquite and possibly some of the other types of wood.

remove ".invalid".
I Googled 'bois d'arc lumber Texas' and got plenty of hits, though many are oriented toward turning size. In addition to the names you have, it appears the name is also corrupted to Bodark.
I've cut down 3 but all I was thinking was to get rid of thornes (from the new growth) and balls (for those that aren't familiar with it, the tree's fruit are bigger than softballs, apparently worthless except to the tree, and don't rot or burn easily. Was afraid of car or person getting hit by 30 or so dropped each day - they feel like bowling balls!)
Neighbor cut one down last week . . . am trying to figure out where to start. :)