4.5 HP Needs a 30 Amp Breaker?

Page 2 of 2

The original post indicated that the circuit was wired with 10-3. I wonder why it didn't have a 30 amp breaker from the start. Else why use 10 ga wire.
Tom Veatch writes:

I figured that, but just in case someone googled it and came in halfway, I wanted that caveat to be there.
I've seen lots of recommendations here to use the next-size-bigger wire just to avoid resistive losses, no surprises there.
And, it's possible to get 10 gauge wire that is *not* rated for 30 amps, depending on the insulation it's got. Remember, it's a fire thing, not a capacity thing. Unlikely, but something to beware of.