4/4 lumber is now less that 3/4" thick. Grrr

So you meant to say 3 puarts??? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

"ChairMan" wrote in news:ETKMr.92433$_z4.8275 @unlimited.newshosting.com:

No, it's not. It's off by 1/8.

"4/4" implies hardwood (if it were softwood, it would be called one-by instead), and that means it's supposed to be surfaced to 13/16.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Okay, in your case, Mike, you have to watch your Ps & Qs _and_ Gs. ;)

RicodJour

To inject a little (but important) further irrelevancy:

Most brands of ice cream are now labeled "frozen dairy dessert", not "ice cream". So not only have "they" downsized the product, but they've cheapened it to where it can't meet requirements for being termed "ice cream".

I managed to find a carton of Breyer's ice cream last week, by rummaging through the grocery's large quantity of Breyer's. It was plain old chocolate, but beggars can't be choosers.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

Check the ingredients. They started to add plant gum and other crap to it for "consistency and creaminess." I already emailed them and said that after 3 decades of buying nothing but Breyer's, I'll be buying a different brand.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Still the best,

Cream and the 1/2 gal containers still have 1/2 gal.

If you can't get it, consider that it is a locally produced product in SE Tex but expanding.

Reply to
Leon

I'm surprised. This is Southern California, where the most common non-house brands are Dreyers (Edys out east, I understand) and Breyers. Dreyers seems to be 100% "frozen dairy desert" now, and as I observed in the first message Breyers is almost that way.

To get back to wood issues: The homeowner's association recently complained about the faded paint on the wood that frames my garage door, and requested it be touched up. No complaints - for once in their wretched lives it was reasonable - but I decided that the wood itself had seen better days and the minor expense of replacement was an intelligent expenditure.

It turned out to be 1 1/2 x 1 3/4, and as expected that was a non-existent size these days. I ended up having bigger stock milled down at a real lumber yard, and it's sitting in the garage ready to be installed.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

What??? You want my home to be condemned? I don't want to be living with my frozen dairy dessert under some bridge abutment

My far-more-talented housekeeper will tackle it today. It's a pleasure to run into a woman who loves tools and isn't afraid to use 'em.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

Good show!

When my cheapo "Tradesman" miter saw had a physical frame failure last year, my housekeeper took it - I was going to trash it - and patched it up enough to be useable. I went out and bought a nice Hitachi laser-guide miter saw, and she has used it far more than I have, mostly in upgrading most of my baseboards and the like.

I've hated my POS Craftsman saber saw for the thirty years I've owned the atrocity, and as a result of a recent "What's the Best Jig Saw" thread here in the newsgroup I went out and purchased a Bosch. Talk about an upgrade!!! I still haven't had need to use it myself in that month - it's not a tool I use particularly often - but my housekeeper has used it a couple of times and is similarly wowed by it. So thanks to the several of you who made that recommendation, even though I wasn't the OP on that thread.

Art

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

I took typing from Leon

Reply to
Mike M

;~) +1

Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@gmx.com

Reply to
B. Terry

b.Terry, none of your messages contain any additional comment by you. Something isn't working for ya. This is maybe the fifth in two days which hasn't said anything. Heads up!

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques