4/4 lumber is now less that 3/4" thick. Grrr

Page 1 of 2
I want to make a carved panel. The 4/4 lumber at the local yard is just 11/16" thick. Howninthehell am I supposed to work with that? The best they could suggest is that I buy some 8/4 and plane it down to the thickness I really want.
Just venting....
--
-Ed Falk, snipped-for-privacy@despams.r.us.com
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com /
Edward A. Falk wrote:

2x4 ain't been 2x4s for ages, no lumber is. I always order 5/4 to get 1 1/8 and 6/4 to get 1 1/4 dimensions given are always in the rough, always have been At least as long as I've been buying wood
On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:39:30 +0000, Edward A. Falk wrote:

Are you talking softwood like pine or fir? Calling it "lumber" would tend to indicate that but I can't see using either for carving. But I buy hardwood frequently and the 4/4 is always at least 13/16' and more often 7/8" or more. Maybe you're looking in the wrong place.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Seriously. If that local yard has figured out how to sell less wood than is in a 1x and call it 4/4, and figured out a way to make people buy it, they're onto something!
On 7/15/2012 12:59 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I would agree for S2S but 4/4 has always been 3/4" in S4S lumber.
On 7/15/2012 12:59 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I would agree for S2S but 4/4 has always been 3/4" in S4S lumber.
For some definition of "always"... :)
_WAY_ back framing lumber was nominally 13/16--the 3/4--1-1/2 came into being sometime in like the '50s w/ the advent of so much more "real" 3/4" sheetgoods than were used previously. That made the 2-plies of ply match up pretty well w/ a tubafor and got rid of that odd sixteenth of the older dimensions.
Now we've progressed to the point where we're having to shim again or buy undersized bits because the sheet goods have been cheapened down a 32-nd or so (if they're metric it's probably not 23/32nd but some near roughly equivalent altho I've not thoroughly investigated that; just supposition).
Progress, indeed! :(
It is hard to tell what the OP means by "lumber" here, specifically. It surely wouldn't surprise if some mill or mills has/have gone to something more like the ply thickness for one-by stuff. After all, a half-gallon ice cream carton is now 3-qts. :(
I'd not expect hardwoods to be that short, no...

On 7/15/2012 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:

You are talking about construction lumber which is typically not sold as 4/4, 5/4 etc rather 1x by, 2x

And I don't recall in recent history say in the last 30 years sheet goods being sold as actual stated thickness although I have recently purchased plywood that was actually 3/4" and 1/4" thick. Stuff looked super fat. ;~)

Actually a half gallon of ice cream is still a half gallon. I am not sure I would be displeased with ice cream being sold as 1/2 gallon actually having 3 quarts. Perhaps you meant 3 pints.

On 7/15/2012 2:11 PM, dpb wrote:

I will buy all those 3 quart, 1/2 gallon ice cream cartons you can get your hands on. ;0>
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Dibs on all the straight chocolate (or mint'n'chip)! You can have -all- the rest.
He undoubtedly meant pints. The new cartons are 48 ounces (v. 64) any more. I like the No Sugar Added types, too. (I ache less.)
-- A human being must have occupation if he or she is not to become a nuisance to the world. -- Dorothy L. Sayers
We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters! -- Larry Jaques
On 7/15/2012 4:31 PM, Swingman wrote:

Wrong little pinkie there... "p", "q" who cares... :)

If you're lysdexic it doesn't matter. ;-)
On 7/15/2012 7:04 PM, dpb wrote:

So you meant to say 3 puarts??? ;~)

To inject a little (but important) further irrelevancy:
Most brands of ice cream are now labeled "frozen dairy dessert", not "ice cream". So not only have "they" downsized the product, but they've cheapened it to where it can't meet requirements for being termed "ice cream".
I managed to find a carton of Breyer's ice cream last week, by rummaging through the grocery's large quantity of Breyer's. It was plain old chocolate, but beggars can't be choosers.
Art
On 7/16/12 11:56 AM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:

Check the ingredients. They started to add plant gum and other crap to it for "consistency and creaminess." I already emailed them and said that after 3 decades of buying nothing but Breyer's, I'll be buying a different brand.
--

-MIKE-

On 7/16/2012 11:56 AM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:

Still the best, http://bluebell.com/the_little_creamery/still_a_half_gallon.html
Ice Cream and the 1/2 gal containers still have 1/2 gal.
If you can't get it, consider that it is a locally produced product in SE Tex but expanding.

brands are Dreyers (Edys out east, I understand) and Breyers. Dreyers seems to be 100% "frozen dairy desert" now, and as I observed in the first message Breyers is almost that way.
To get back to wood issues: The homeowner's association recently complained about the faded paint on the wood that frames my garage door, and requested it be touched up. No complaints - for once in their wretched lives it was reasonable - but I decided that the wood itself had seen better days and the minor expense of replacement was an intelligent expenditure.
It turned out to be 1 1/2 x 1 3/4, and as expected that was a non-existent size these days. I ended up having bigger stock milled down at a real lumber yard, and it's sitting in the garage ready to be installed.
Art

What??? You want my home to be condemned? I don't want to be living with my frozen dairy dessert under some bridge abutment
My far-more-talented housekeeper will tackle it today. It's a pleasure to run into a woman who loves tools and isn't afraid to use 'em.
Art

Good show!
When my cheapo "Tradesman" miter saw had a physical frame failure last year, my housekeeper took it - I was going to trash it - and patched it up enough to be useable. I went out and bought a nice Hitachi laser-guide miter saw, and she has used it far more than I have, mostly in upgrading most of my baseboards and the like.
I've hated my POS Craftsman saber saw for the thirty years I've owned the atrocity, and as a result of a recent "What's the Best Jig Saw" thread here in the newsgroup I went out and purchased a Bosch. Talk about an upgrade!!! I still haven't had need to use it myself in that month - it's not a tool I use particularly often - but my housekeeper has used it a couple of times and is similarly wowed by it. So thanks to the several of you who made that recommendation, even though I wasn't the OP on that thread.
Art
Art
On 2012-07-16 20:15:05 +0000, Arthur Shapiro said:

snipped-for-privacy@gmx.com

b.Terry, none of your messages contain any additional comment by you. Something isn't working for ya. This is maybe the fifth in two days which hasn't said anything. Heads up!
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai