305 ss wood screws - Ft. worth TX area?

Am putting last touches on cedar panel gate, need to use stainless steel for outside purposes. Grade 304/305/316 will all work, would prefer painted head. Anyone have a local retail source to suggest? Can order on line but far more than I would ever use.
Chris

Any good building supply house that handles deck materials should carry them. Your local Ace Hardware store will order them for you, http://www.acehardware.com/mystore/storeLocator.jsp
"cc" wrote:

----------------------------- 316 is preferred; however, you may be stuck with 304. Nobody will have 305.
Any marine chandlery (Got a West Marine) or decent old time hardware.
Check Jamestown Distributors.
You will probably find buyiing 100 pc boxes is not such a bad deal, even with shipping.
Lew

I never even heard of 305. Damn, _another_ think I have to go look up. It's a wonder I get anything done at all. ;)

Right - and you can always find uses for the stainless screws - they don't go bad.
I have to take exception to your West Marine recommendation. I think their stuff is horribly over-priced, and I would tend to doubt that they'd have painted head stainless screws. That's more of a deck item...and not a ship's teak deck! It's worth a call to check, I suppose...if you want to pay their prices. I find their stuff to be between 25 - 50% over-priced.
"RicodJour" wrote:

their stuff is horribly over-priced, and I would tend to doubt that they'd have painted head stainless screws. ------------------------------- If you want an argument, change the subject.
W/M very much over priced and under peckered, but they do have inventory are are located every where.
Painted fastener heads, dream on.
Lew
On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:39:29 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Jamestown is the same way.

Sorry, Lew. They're fact, not fiction. http://www.decksdirect.com/headcote-305-stainless-steel-deck-screw.html and for your airplane, http://www.electronicfasteners.com/pdfs/linecard_sf.pdf

I think Lew was referring to their availability at West Marine, which is a "dream on" type of hope, not if the painted head SS screws exist.
Anything with the word "marine" in the business description has a automatic markup of 30% over full retail.

Bah! Cheap! Try something with the word "aviation" in it.
--
Frank Stutzman

(topposting corrected)

And anything with the word "medical" in the business description takes it a minimum of 100% over full retail.
-- We're all here because we're not all there.
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 09:43:29 -0700, Larry Jaques

Because the government makes it so.

Try Pioneer Fasteners in Bedford, Arrow Bolt in Euless, or Fort Worth Bolt and Tool in Ft Worth. They are all in the phone book. What you want may not be sold as "decking" or "wood" screws, but probably as "flat-head sheet metal screws". (Of course true wood screws have a taper in the threads). If I knew what area you are in, I could probably find something elsewhere. I am not sure if Walden's Distributing on the Airport Freeway would have what you want. They are a cabinet shop supply and seem to charge too much for some things. (I buy some stuff in quantity from them, but only some things)
I also seriously doubt that anyone I know of would have painted heads, but I just usually stick the screws into cardboard or styrofoam and hit them with Krylon.
It's been some years since I built any gates or fences and so many of the old suppliers I used to trade with are gone.
On 8/19/2010 9:45 PM, cc wrote:

They don't have painted head but the obvious place to check is Fastenal <http://www.fastenal.com>.