3 years off -- how to store?

The bronze bodied LN tools will not corrode but their blades might. So wrap the blades in an oiled cloth.

Put a heavy coat of wax on everything else.

How many of us have obtained cast iron tooling from damp basements that, with a little elbow grease, shine right up and work as well as the day they were made? I should expect your bandsaw, DP, t-saw etc to do well if oiled and waxed and put on casters so that they'll move easily.

Sticker and crate the lumber yourself. You're the only one in the room that knows how to treat it right.

I see no reason why a plywood chest with the remainder of your hand power tools wouldn't survive a couple of years of storage in a dry, constant temperature and humidity facility.

That last point is probably key. You gotta know where this stuff is going and how the place is operated. The run of the mill mini storage shed on the side of the highway probably isn't what you want. Finding the right place may be more trouble and expense than you've bargained for.

(If the storage facility makes you worry about your tools, what might your matresses, sofas and clothing smell like when you get back?)

You sure you don't want to lend us some of those tools while you're gone?

J.

Never Enough M> I'm taking a foreign assignment for 2 to 3 years. The company is

Reply to
J.

JOAT, I went Googling for "Joint Occupational Arts & Trades" and came up empty handed. Got a link or other info?

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Mon, Feb 26, 2007, 11:46pm snipped-for-privacy@online.com (Bill=A0in=A0Detroit) doth proclaim: JOAT, I went Googling for "Joint Occupational Arts & Trades" and came up empty handed. Got a link or other info?

Really? Couldn't find it? You were definiely doing something wrong - don't use quotes. Here's a link that might help.

in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

Been there, done that. Unless your storage facility is climate controlled, leave ALL your most prized posessions in the care of friends or family. When my stuff came out of storage, every piece of wood furniture was covered with a white chalky mold and every cast iron surface had a very light coat of rust on it. All the wood furniture had swelled so much the doors wouldn't close right for months. They also busted a rocker off the cradle I built before my daughter was born. I nearly cried right there in front of the movers. It all cleaned up with a little elbow grease, and I was able to glue the rocker back with an almost invisible glue line. I'm not saying to farm out all your stationary machines, but I'd coat all the steel with a good coat of topcoat or wax. The real treasures I'd box up myself and leave with ANYONE besides a storage facility. That goes for furniture items and other treasures too.

DonkeyHody

Reply to
DonkeyHody

If you had yanked my leg any harder, I'd have sent you a bill for the prosthetic & therapy! ;-)

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Thu, Mar 1, 2007, 12:42am snipped-for-privacy@online.com (Bill=A0in=A0Detroit) who was apparently slowed down by the cold weather up there: does sayeth If you had yanked my leg any harder, I'd have sent you a bill for the prosthetic & therapy! ;-)

LMAO

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to