3 years off -- how to store?

Page 2 of 2
J T wrote:

If you had yanked my leg any harder, I'd have sent you a bill for the prosthetic & therapy! ;-)
Bill
is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
Thu, Mar 1, 2007, 12:42am snipped-for-privacy@online.com (BillinDetroit) who was apparently slowed down by the cold weather up there: does sayeth If you had yanked my leg any harder, I'd have sent you a bill for the prosthetic & therapy! ;-)
LMAO
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
Most won't survive the storage. Motors on any bench or floor tools will have problems. Any batteries for cordless tools will be long gone. And the worst thing is, the movers when they put it in the storage locker, won't give a damn about what comes in contact with the tables. (Been there, did it to people.) You are probably asking for a big headache keeping most. If it were me I would keep the tools that are either: Discontinued and have very good value (except power tools) Were a sentimental gift (ie; first Christmas gift from SWMBO (or child), first real hand tool, etc.)
Otherwise sell them and put the proceeds in an investment account. At least with the interest you can add to buying some new ones when you get back. Also ask your company if instead of the storage fees if they will contribute half of the value to an account to recover the cost of replacements. You get the right accountant in your company and he will be more than happy to listen. Though this might take some work on your part in finding out how much it would cost to store just your tools alone.
And as far as the wood goes, I think you need to post your address and we all will come over to help you load it in our vehicles.
Allen

Commercial unheated storage will reduce your every unprotected tool to rusty junk iside of a year. I know this because I own and operate a storage business. The protection schemes available are well known from military and other sources, so you absolutely must go to that much trouble to protect your treasures. One novel way I heard of to avoid some of the hassles was finding a friend with some spare space and renting the room in his house at the same rate as the self storage company. Most folks don't mind having an extra $100 a month or so to do a buddy a favor. Talk it over and have some legal help to get it in writing. HTH
Joe
The bronze bodied LN tools will not corrode but their blades might. So wrap the blades in an oiled cloth.
Put a heavy coat of wax on everything else.
How many of us have obtained cast iron tooling from damp basements that, with a little elbow grease, shine right up and work as well as the day they were made? I should expect your bandsaw, DP, t-saw etc to do well if oiled and waxed and put on casters so that they'll move easily.
Sticker and crate the lumber yourself. You're the only one in the room that knows how to treat it right.
I see no reason why a plywood chest with the remainder of your hand power tools wouldn't survive a couple of years of storage in a dry, constant temperature and humidity facility.
That last point is probably key. You gotta know where this stuff is going and how the place is operated. The run of the mill mini storage shed on the side of the highway probably isn't what you want. Finding the right place may be more trouble and expense than you've bargained for.
(If the storage facility makes you worry about your tools, what might your matresses, sofas and clothing smell like when you get back?)
You sure you don't want to lend us some of those tools while you're gone?
J.
Never Enough Money wrote:

Been there, done that. Unless your storage facility is climate controlled, leave ALL your most prized posessions in the care of friends or family. When my stuff came out of storage, every piece of wood furniture was covered with a white chalky mold and every cast iron surface had a very light coat of rust on it. All the wood furniture had swelled so much the doors wouldn't close right for months. They also busted a rocker off the cradle I built before my daughter was born. I nearly cried right there in front of the movers. It all cleaned up with a little elbow grease, and I was able to glue the rocker back with an almost invisible glue line. I'm not saying to farm out all your stationary machines, but I'd coat all the steel with a good coat of topcoat or wax. The real treasures I'd box up myself and leave with ANYONE besides a storage facility. That goes for furniture items and other treasures too.
DonkeyHody