3/8" drill chucks

My father would like to use larger bits in his 3/8" drill but needs a larger chuck opening. Does anyone make a 1/2" chuck that will fit a 3/8" drills mounting threads?
Sean Garland asks:

Jacobs among others. But can't he just locate bits with cut down shanks?
Charlie Self "Politics: A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. " Ambrose Bierce

Chucks are available, check McMaster Carr or Grainger.
Often you can buy bits with the shank turned down to 3/8". If not, do you know anyone with a metal turning lathe? Takes but a few minutes to turn it down. Ed

Around here (Northern NJ) even Sears carries turned-down shanks in drill bits up to 1/2". Make sure the drill you're using has enough chutzpeh to drill that size hole in the material in question.
If you're talking wood, consider spade bits as a better alternative for fast hobbing.
If you're talking metal, consider whether or not you might be better served by buying or renting a beefier drill.
It's possible to burn up a small drill by using a bit that's too large for the motor. DAMHIKT.

We sell a lot of 1/2" keyless chucks (Mostly Makita (Jacobs)) that have the standard tread for the 3/8" drills spindles, They provide the larger capacity but you have to remember the spindle is small & easy to snap if you use the drill under extreme 1/2" capacities. After all a drill is only as good as its spindle & gear strength when it comes to heavy work.
For about $35 Canadian or $28US most our customers are very pleased with the upgraded chucks.
--
Jon Down
Harbor Freight carries the 1/2" Jacobs chucks with key lock for $4.99.
Sean Garland wrote:

I put one of these on one of my corded drills and am quite happy with it. I would have prefered a keyless, but HF did not have one and for $5 ....
Dave Hall