3/4 pipe camps

Page 1 of 2

Harbor Freight is having a sale on the 3/4in pipe clamps, $3.49/pair. http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do
I shoulda got some two weeks ago when they also had bar clamps on sale.
Mike

What advantage does the 3/4" pipe size have over the 1/2" pipe size? Other than the obvious 1/4" in size?
Andy wrote:

The 1/4" _is_ the advantage.
Larger pipe is stiffer, so longer clamps stay straighter under pressure. I'll bet the fatter pipe also provides more gripping area for the movable end of the clamp.
So, I guess bigger and stiffer pipes are better. =8^0
B a r r y wrote:

Theres just no way anyone could, or should, put enough pressure on 1/2" pipe to bend it.
So, I guess bigger and stiffer pipes are better. =8^0

The main advantage I see is the crank handle on the 3/4" is much better.
--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:

Not in the sense of bending it *permanently*, no. But they *do* flex noticeably under _normal_ clamping pressure, and 1/2" pipes flex more than 3/4" pipes do. This is a bad thing, because when the pipe flexes, the clamp jaws are no longer parallel to one another.
--
Regards,
I never noticed it before. I don't use pipe clamps very often, but I see your point. The flexure could pull the boards out of alignment.
Doug Miller wrote:

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:
Joseph Connors wrote:

I'm not sure I agree, depending on the set up. But there is another reason for wanting a lack of bending. On big glue-ups the pipe clamps may be sitting on a surface--floor, table, or sawhorses with supports 6-10 feet apart. The pipes can contact the boards, hopefully with wax paper between the board and the pipe. A straight pipe is highly desirable. A 8 or 10 foot length of 1/2" pipes will likely end up with a bow, while a 3/4" pipes will remain straight even with some rough use.

1/2" steel pipe, but don't flex noticably under normal pressure. So, I can't see it is much of an issue.
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:03:43 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy

None, they're too heavy and can easily apply too much force. I bought 3/4" clamps and now regret it. Wait for their half inchers to go on sale, or better yet, wait for the Pittsburgh bar clamps to go back on half price sale.
Caveat: Do NOT buy the Central Forge brand. Pittsburghs are lifetime warrantied and are much better made.
- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - -------------------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming
I don't get it. YOU control the force applied (and you can easily apply too much force with the 1/2" size as well). Other than the extra weight, I can't see why a 3/4" clamp wouldn't always be superior.
Larry Jaques wrote:

They seem to have modified them to look more like Rocklers, or they are made in the same factory.
The one I just got is taller than the others and causes some alignment issues if not used on the TOP of the work.
Alan

I would clarify that! The 1/2" clamps are plenty rigid for shorter pipe lengths. I have a dozen or so three foot, 1/2" clamps. Personally I would not go over 4 feet in length with 1/2" pipe clamps. I also have a few 3/4" clamps with pipe lengths in the 5-6 foot range. Greg
Jimmy wrote:

Oh my! Did anyone actually buy these? I got the bug.
The first one to come out of the box is completely split on the handle where it was driven onto the screw.
My first, and possibly last, HF experience.
er
--
email not valid

Yep - I bought some, mostly because I've seen several posts on this ng that say they're not too bad (As long as you get the "heavy duty" kind). I haven't put them on pipes yet, but they look fine - no cracks or visible defects. HF is what it is - cheap stuff direct from China - don't expect the quality control of more expensive brands. However, as long as you keep your receipt, they're good about taking back defective stuff (IMO). So just be sure to check stuff out carefully before you buy it, keep your receipt, and it is possible to save a lot of money if it's just something you'll use occasionally. One thing I've heard here (and experienced) is to avoid their sandpaper/abrasives, no matter how cheap they are. Andy
Andy wrote:

A little brazing rod might fix it, but it looks like punky potmetal.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

And you didn't take it back for a replacement?
Enoch Root wrote:

It's been said on here again and again. Only buy the "heavy-duty" "Pittsburgh" pipe clamps. Is that what you bought?
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Yep. And that's what came on the short brown bus.
er
--
email not valid

I grabbed a couple, just because I was in the store getting something else, and they don't have any problems that I can see. I haven't used them yet, but I did take them out of the package and give them the once over and they seem fine.