3/16" dado problem

Page 2 of 2
If I had just a few to do I'd use multiple passes on the TS. If I had a bunch to do I'd try stacking the 2 thin kerf blades I have(they're the same make/model). Art

The chippers in a dado set aren't made for outside cuts. They can burn and kick back. Actually, I'm surprised that a blade plus the one chipper gave you a 3/16" cut - the cutting edge on the chipper is wider than 1/16", and your dado should have been too wide even before the cardboard spacer.
Others have mentioned moving the fence, a wobble dado and router bits - all of which will work.
Another option is a set of wobble washers. These are sets of four tapered washers - tow on each side of your saw blade. You can adjust the wobble from none at all up to a 3/4" or so dado. I wouldn't use them for a wide dado, as you get a rounded bottom, but for 3/16" you wouldn't notice. I'm not sure who sells them today, but think Sears carried them at least in the past. They're cheap, by the way.
You could always widen the 1/8" kerf from your regular saw blade with a side rabbet plane. I wouldn't use a single dado saw blade - they are ground to cut cleanly on one side only.
John Martin