2x4 clamps

never tried these but like the idea but a little but pricey
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId $751286
would come in handy from time to time for a big project that needs clamping
then when you are done you can use the 2 bys for something else
On 3/4/2016 10:21 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

Less expensive still,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/14702143997/in/dateposted-public/
On 3/4/2016 11:21 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

That picture looks like it was set up by the art department. I would have to assume that any woodworker would position the movable jaw such that the crank handle was past the end of the 2x4. What a pain it would be to tighten it where it is now.
I'm pretty sure you could get 3/4" pipe clamp hardware + a pretty long pipe for about the same amount.
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 1:50:28 PM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:

Slide, turn, slide, turn, slide, turn. I've often had to position C-clamps such that I couldn't make full turns with the handle.

Ever thought about drilling and tapping the end so you could put a piece of threaded rod and a nut in there? Or filing off a hex pattern so you can get a socket on there? Some red loctite would probably hold just fine in both directions. That way, you could turn it with a socket wrench.
I realize not every C-clamp has enough meat on the end to make this possible. And that the lead screw could be hardened...
Puckdropper
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 6:11:32 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

I'm not looking to modify any C-clamps, I was merely pointing out that it wouldn't really be all that much of a pain to use that clamp even if the jaw was positioned In the middle of the 2x4.
I bought a pair of Lee Valley wonder dogs for my bench:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p1129&cat=1,41637,41645,31129
When I needed some long clamps, I just dripped some 3/4 holes in a twoby. What's nice about these is you can raise them to easily turn the handle.
Larry
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 6:59:07 PM UTC-6, Gramps' shop wrote:

That's drilled, not dripped. Haven't figured out how to drip a hole yet, but working on it.
On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 16:59:04 -0800 (PST)

i have some of these this is a good idea
I use 'kan't twist' C clamps that were designed by Navy retired for the Navy.
Normally used on metal for clamping and welding or drilling. I have 1" to large 10" or maybe 8". I use them when I need to clamp.
(Amazon.com product link shortened) 4 1/2"
The center grove clamping face can be rotated 180 to be a flat on one or both.
And they are powerful. MSC sells them and amazon sellers.
I'm using mine to clamp 4x4 and 2x6 oak boards so I can drill and screw.
Martin