2x3 vs 2x4

I noticed that Home Depot is stocking 2x3 studs these days. I have used them for a small garden shed and they are much easier/lighter to handle and still give the strength for most places. I'm just wondering why these haven't been produced longer? The price is about 25-35% less than 2x4's.

They've always been out there..just not in demand
Rudy wrote:

Major utility has been in furring out basement walls for insulation, with some non-load-bearing use--just pulled down the plaster in the bathroom on a late '60s house and found that the studs on the non-load-bearing wall were 2x3 while the ones on the adjacent load-bearing wall were 2x4.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Fred wrote:

Mort Stevens wrote:

And by all means check your local codes before using the 2x3s.     mahalo,     jo4hn

Gosh!
Heh ... yeah, go figure. A 2x3 (1.5x2.5) is 28% less than a 2x4 (1.5x3.5). The pre-cut rough dimension is 25% less.
Knowing Home Depot, it wouldn't have surprised me though to see the 2x3s only 10% less!
Jack
Tim W wrote:

They have been around for 50+ years that I know of, maybe longer. I used them to frame out my basement to add insulation. Since they were not structural, they worked very well for that.

They've been commonly available for as lon as I can remember, and I'm talking about long before HD even existed.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
In addition, my 35 year old house has rafters made from 2 x 5s. I have never seen such any where else.

Wait a few years, they will be calling them 2x4s.

and

And they'll probably try to explain it away as an extra level of dressing.