2hp on 20 amp circuit

Page 3 of 3

I have gotten away for years with 15 to 19 amp motors on 15 amp breakers. usually the tool is ok starting up for a table saw or jointer or such. I just could ot push the tool hard. Knight-Toolworks http://www.knight-toolworks.com affordable handmade wooden planes

I have a 2hp motor that is rated to draw 18A on startup, 15A running. I run it all the time on a 15A circuit. It was a bit stiff when it was brand new and a couple of times in the first few days it drew too much for too long on startup and blew the fuse. (Yes, it was a fuse.) I replaced it with a breaker rather than a slow-blow fuse and I think it tripped maybe once more. I have since moved to a new house with a 15A circuit again, and never tripped the breaker even once.
Just thought I'd mention it, since you're definitely being encouraged to give it a try as is. Don't be discouraged if there are a couple of hiccups at the beginning. You can work it out.
- Owen -