25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

Page 3 of 3
"Michael" wrote:

A replacement (You need one) 2HP, 3450RPM, cap start, cap run, 120/240V motor is available from your local Grainger.
Found a Model 5K961 from Grainger for $450.
Last time I bought one it was around $300 but that was then and this is now.
BTDT, don't need the T-Shirt.
Good luck,
Lew
Michael wrote:

--
 GW Ross

 Weird enough for all practical

Blow out the accumulated sawdust with compressed air. A motor that can't breathe is going to get hot. Open it up if necessary, This will be a good time to oil the bearings too. Art
On Saturday, September 7, 2013 2:47:15 PM UTC-5, Artemus wrote:

I blew out the dust with my air compressor. I haven't oiled the bearings. I don't know how but I'll figure it out and try that.
Thanks!
On 09/06/2013 08:53 PM, Michael wrote:

Surprisingly, Sears Parts may still have replacement motors for this. Get the full parts number off the saw and have a look on their website or call a local Sears Parts outlet.
I have a saw of similar vintage and will not part with it. It fits my garage/shop corner perfectly and is of a vintage that still had machined metal surfaces as opposed to the newer plastic/aluminum. Unfortunately, the motor is going to set you back a nice chunk of change. But .. it's probably only a bit more than having the motor rebuilt and you get a brand new motor ... for another 25 years.
I have modified mine so extensively that table surface, motor, and frame are all that are left of the original saw:
http://www.tundraware.com/Woodworking/TableSaw/
On 9/7/2013 5:29 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

find a shop that handles small electric motors.
Many years ago I thought my motor was dead, As you found replacement motors are expensive. I took it to a local shop. He showed me what the problem was. (Old saw dust and wood chips in the contacts.) That was over 10 years ago and the motor is working perfectly.
After every use, I use the vacuum to clean all of the openings on the motor. Every couple of years I take it a part and clean everything. Just carefully put it back together and make sure there are no extra parts when you are done. It is really a simple task.
I have a 10" Sears table saw that was purchased new in 1969. It has the cast iron top. I would not trade it for any thing similar made today, it I could find a 10" table saw with anything but a pressed steel top.
On 9/7/2013 7:18 PM, Knuttle wrote:

Look on Craigs list, you can buy a vintage unit for under 100, just take the motor and use the rest for parts.
Jeff