25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

Not too much and no smell, but it looks like the motor is about to go. What are my options? I hate to say good-bye to an old friend.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

If it's a direct drive you may find someone to rebuild / rewind the motor. If it's a belt drive, lots of options to having that motor rebuilt to a number of replacements available. Need to know what type of mount, shaft size, length, etc. Sears Parts may even have a replacement.

Bob S.

Not too much and no smell, but it looks like the motor is about to go. What are my options? I hate to say good-bye to an old friend.

Mike

Reply to
Bob

---------------------------------------------------------- A replacement (You need one) 2HP, 3450RPM, cap start, cap run,

120/240V motor is available from your local Grainger.

Found a Model 5K961 from Grainger for $450.

Last time I bought one it was around $300 but that was then and this is now.

BTDT, don't need the T-Shirt.

Good luck,

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's a direct drive. I like the idea of having someone rebuild the motor. What will that set me back?

Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

------------------------------------------------------------------ Unfortunately a rewind of a fractional HP, direct drive motor will probably cost 75%-80% of the cost of a new direct drive saw.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, I just talked to a guy who does this. He said it's going to cost more than the motor is worth.

Reply to
Michael

25 Years is way past the legal age for smoking.
Reply to
G. Ross

Is this the little direct drive saws that make a lot of noise and have a table too small for a decent cross cut? If so, it may be time to get an upgrade.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've got a 1948 Delta with a motor that's so heavy I can barely lift it. Some of that is my age but it's still one *heavy* motor.

I was told by a guy who worked at a motor place that if it ever failed, I should get it fixed instead of replacing it because the newer motors didn't have anything like the torque of the old ones.

I don't know if he was correct or if this applies to the OPs motor. Just something to consider besides cost.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Blow out the accumulated sawdust with compressed air. A motor that can't breathe is going to get hot. Open it up if necessary, This will be a good time to oil the bearings too. Art

Reply to
Artemus

I went by Sears today. I like this saw.

The motor is 1 3/4 HP. Will I miss that much HP since I've been using at 2 HP for years? The most stress I put on the saw is ripping 45 inch long green hickory that I've planed to square.

The lesser-priced saw has some kind of flange sticking into the miter slot that will not let me use my many jigs. What a bad idea.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

I blew out the dust with my air compressor. I haven't oiled the bearings. I don't know how but I'll figure it out and try that.

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael

Surprisingly, Sears Parts may still have replacement motors for this. Get the full parts number off the saw and have a look on their website or call a local Sears Parts outlet.

I have a saw of similar vintage and will not part with it. It fits my garage/shop corner perfectly and is of a vintage that still had machined metal surfaces as opposed to the newer plastic/aluminum. Unfortunately, the motor is going to set you back a nice chunk of change. But .. it's probably only a bit more than having the motor rebuilt and you get a brand new motor ... for another 25 years.

I have modified mine so extensively that table surface, motor, and frame are all that are left of the original saw:

Tim Daneliuk

Horsepower ratings on saws are nebulous at best. Look at the amperage instead. It takes 745 watts (amps * volts) to make one horsepower and that's if the motor is 100% efficient which none are. A 15 amp motor might go to 1 3/4 horsepower but even that is doubtful.

And look at some other brands than Craftsman, the Sears stuff ain't what it used to be. I don't know what your budget is but Jet, Delta, and Powermatic all make better saws than Craftsman. And if the sky's the limit there's always Sawstop.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Before doing away with the saw look on the net or in the phone book and find a shop that handles small electric motors.

Many years ago I thought my motor was dead, As you found replacement motors are expensive. I took it to a local shop. He showed me what the problem was. (Old saw dust and wood chips in the contacts.) That was over 10 years ago and the motor is working perfectly.

After every use, I use the vacuum to clean all of the openings on the motor. Every couple of years I take it a part and clean everything. Just carefully put it back together and make sure there are no extra parts when you are done. It is really a simple task.

I have a 10" Sears table saw that was purchased new in 1969. It has the cast iron top. I would not trade it for any thing similar made today, it I could find a 10" table saw with anything but a pressed steel top.

Reply to
Knuttle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- SFWIW

NEMA rates a 1-1/2 HP and a 2 HP general purpose motor but not a 1-3/4 HP motor.

To get a 1-3/4 HP motor requires a slip stick and some assumptions.

We all know what assuming does.

Don't have a slip stick, use a calculator.

In any event, you are going to want to operate at 240V.

Hickory is a tough wood and green hickory is even more difficult to cut.

About 15 years ago, bought a Delta contractor's saw complete with a Unifence for about $800.

No blade was included and that saw is no longer offered for sale.

Sears & Roebuck offered a pretty decent line of homeowner grade power tools with their Craftsman brand; however, over the last 20 years, they have degraded the brand to the point that today it is widely referred to as Crapsman.

IMHO, $550 does NOT buy a tablesaw that is worth bringing home.

As others have mentioned, probably time to look at what is offered in the market.

You don't indicate whether this is for a hobby or a business, but if it were me, I'd look very hard at the SawStop and try very hard to convince myself that there is no way I can't afford not to own one.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Look on Craigs list, you can buy a vintage unit for under 100, just take the motor and use the rest for parts.

Reply to
woodchucker

2 HP "maximum developed" horsepower? That's a sales pitch used most often by Sears to make their universal motors look good. Likely, your saw was putting out 1-1/2 hp constant power.
Reply to
Frank

Don't rule out used saws. I see Delta and Jet contractor saws at reasonable prices on Craig's list fairly often.

Reply to
Larry W

That is the saw that I bought to replace my wood shop (which went to my youngest daughter when we moved and downsized). I went with Sears because ratings were pretty good, it was fairly cheap, and there is a Sears about a half mile away so I can beat up on the salesman if everything doesn't go my way. Anyway, it went together quite easily and required only very minor adjustments out of the box. Fit and finish were just fine. It doesn't get heavy usage but I have cut some IPE and forbuhfor doug fir. No problem. I can recommend it for anyone who doesn't do commercial work any more but wants to keep his hand in. mahalo, jo4hn (I lied about beating him up. He looked a bit on the burly side.)

Reply to
jo4hn