25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

Page 1 of 3
Not too much and no smell, but it looks like the motor is about to go. What are my options? I hate to say good-bye to an old friend.
Mike
If it's a direct drive you may find someone to rebuild / rewind the motor. If it's a belt drive, lots of options to having that motor rebuilt to a number of replacements available. Need to know what type of mount, shaft size, length, etc. Sears Parts may even have a replacement.
Bob S.
"Michael" wrote in message
Not too much and no smell, but it looks like the motor is about to go. What are my options? I hate to say good-bye to an old friend.
Mike
On Friday, September 6, 2013 9:42:20 PM UTC-5, Bob wrote:

It's a direct drive. I like the idea of having someone rebuild the motor. What will that set me back?
Thanks.
"Michael" wrote:

Unfortunately a rewind of a fractional HP, direct drive motor will probably cost 75%-80% of the cost of a new direct drive saw.
Lew
On Friday, September 6, 2013 11:23:17 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yeah, I just talked to a guy who does this. He said it's going to cost more than the motor is worth.
On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 07:08:45 -0700 (PDT), Michael

Is this the little direct drive saws that make a lot of noise and have a table too small for a decent cross cut? If so, it may be time to get an upgrade.
On Saturday, September 7, 2013 9:08:45 AM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

I went by Sears today. I like this saw.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-10-in-contractor-saw-sears-21833/p-00921833000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid921833000&kispla921833000P
The motor is 1 3/4 HP. Will I miss that much HP since I've been using at 2 HP for years? The most stress I put on the saw is ripping 45 inch long green hickory that I've planed to square.
The lesser-priced saw has some kind of flange sticking into the miter slot that will not let me use my many jigs. What a bad idea.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-10-in-contractor-saw-sears-21833/p-00921833000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid921833000&kispla921833000P
Mike
On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 13:50:16 -0700, Michael wrote:

Horsepower ratings on saws are nebulous at best. Look at the amperage instead. It takes 745 watts (amps * volts) to make one horsepower and that's if the motor is 100% efficient which none are. A 15 amp motor might go to 1 3/4 horsepower but even that is doubtful.
And look at some other brands than Craftsman, the Sears stuff ain't what it used to be. I don't know what your budget is but Jet, Delta, and Powermatic all make better saws than Craftsman. And if the sky's the limit there's always Sawstop.
carrying a cross.
Michael wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- SFWIW
NEMA rates a 1-1/2 HP and a 2 HP general purpose motor but not a 1-3/4 HP motor.
To get a 1-3/4 HP motor requires a slip stick and some assumptions<G>.
We all know what assuming does.
Don't have a slip stick, use a calculator.
In any event, you are going to want to operate at 240V.
Hickory is a tough wood and green hickory is even more difficult to cut.
About 15 years ago, bought a Delta contractor's saw complete with a Unifence for about $800.
No blade was included and that saw is no longer offered for sale.
Sears & Roebuck offered a pretty decent line of homeowner grade power tools with their Craftsman brand; however, over the last 20 years, they have degraded the brand to the point that today it is widely referred to as Crapsman.
IMHO, $550 does NOT buy a tablesaw that is worth bringing home.
As others have mentioned, probably time to look at what is offered in the market.
You don't indicate whether this is for a hobby or a business, but if it were me, I'd look very hard at the SawStop and try very hard to convince myself that there is no way I can't afford not to own one.
Have fun.
Lew
Don't rule out used saws. I see Delta and Jet contractor saws at reasonable prices on Craig's list fairly often.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 13:47:42 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lonestar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Most of those saws are from guys that can't get "wood" any more and either had to give up the hobby or died. Most have been fairly well cared for. Take some extra cash as the family may also be selling some other goodies at bargain prices.
On Saturday, September 7, 2013 4:50:16 PM UTC-4, Michael wrote:

2 HP "maximum developed" horsepower? That's a sales pitch used most often by Sears to make their universal motors look good. Likely, your saw was putting out 1-1/2 hp constant power.
On 9/7/2013 1:50 PM, Michael wrote:

youngest daughter when we moved and downsized). I went with Sears because ratings were pretty good, it was fairly cheap, and there is a Sears about a half mile away so I can beat up on the salesman if everything doesn't go my way. Anyway, it went together quite easily and required only very minor adjustments out of the box. Fit and finish were just fine. It doesn't get heavy usage but I have cut some IPE and forbuhfor doug fir. No problem. I can recommend it for anyone who doesn't do commercial work any more but wants to keep his hand in.     mahalo,     jo4hn (I lied about beating him up. He looked a bit on the burly side.)
On 9/7/13 3:50 PM, Michael wrote:

I don't know how old your Craftsman is but the new ones are no where near the quality of the old ones. They make them all shiny and put on big plastic knobs and dials to make them appear hefty and high quality, but you can get much better saws for the money. I don't know about that saw but Craftsman also has a nasty habit of making their miter slots different dimension than the industry standard so that you have to buy their accessories. They are also notorious for being *non* adjustable in critical areas like arbor to slot fine tuning.
Someone else mentioned craigslist. If you're in a decent sized city, you can get some incredible deals on there. I got my $1k Delta tablesaw for $225 and it was a year old.
--

-MIKE-

FWIW, Mike, I spent $350 for a Jet contractor saw, with the Rockler outfeed table, mobile base, a few half decent blades a couple summers ago to get my son started in woodworking. It was used, but very little. Take a look on Craigslist or contact your local woodworking club. You could wind up with a heck of a deal and a much better saw.
Regards, Roy
On Sunday, September 8, 2013 9:18:27 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:
om>

921833000P

reen hickory that I've planed to square.

921833000P

I'm thinking the same thing, but I also like the idea of the warranty as we ll as the yearly extended warranties that you can get for Sears products. I looked around and there are some pretty good deals in the area. If I'm pat ient, I'm sure something will work out.
Something like this, for example: http://wausau.craigslist.org/tls/40469028 62.html
Thanks.
On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 19:26:20 -0700, Michael wrote:

That's an oldie but goodie. If you have 220, go for it. The seller sounds like he'd even reduce the price a little. But make sure you've got some strong helpers to move it :-).
carrying a cross.
On Monday, September 9, 2013 11:10:13 AM UTC-5, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Any thoughts on this table saw?
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/for/4017043344.html
On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 14:32:39 -0700, Michael wrote:

Without a model number it's hard to tell. Delta made some good stuff and a few that weren't much better than Sears. I don't like the extensions. I prefer the solid cast iron ones. But the corrugated are better than the waffle iron ones.
carrying a cross.
On 9/9/13 4:32 PM, Michael wrote:

Not great, but might be worth $125-150. It has a cast iron top, but those fence rails are suspect.
Honestly, I'd rather go for that Jet you posted earlier. The guy said he was open to offers, so maybe lowball him at $250 and see if he counters with $300. Those old Jets are big, heavy-duty sumbiches and can be adjusted to cut perfectly. If it's in any decent shape at all with a decent fence, it would be a better saw than that Delta above.
--

-MIKE-