24" ruler

Page 2 of 3

A 24" ruler would rule with both feet and never put a foot wrong, right?
Robatoy wrote:

Sir one can use ruler or rule in this context as the object has been shown to be an item of measurment. http://dictionary.cambridge.org/results.asp?searchword=ruler&x=0&y=0
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Rule is formal. Ruler would be okay in that language they speak along the river Cam, Sir. Maybe I have this confused with a 12 inch pianist?
On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 14:43:21 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

WHen I worked as a die-maker in the middle of the continent between the oceans ... north of 'ole' and and south of 'eh' we called them 'scales' because they were used to scale drawings / get rough measurements of steel before machining.
In our business, the drawings were often 1:1 so you could get a quick reality check simply my holding the scale against it on the chance that the indicated dimension was, in fact, a brain fart.
I still have & use my pocket scales (6") with a wide variety of graduations (fractional inch, decimal inch and metric).
Even if you don't need the little lines & number, their edges are usually pretty darned straight, making them a relatively inexpensive / moderately accurate straight edge for gaging flatness.
Bill
No, there's 10 tenths to the inch. I carry one daily graduated in 100ths.

But can you read all those little lines? :)
Yes, I also carry a jewlers loop.
wrote in message

is that a loop or loupe?
You guys are loopy. Tom R. Pierce Butler wrote:

That is loupey

You just have to magnify the littlest detail don't you?

Why put him under a microscope?
B A R R Y wrote:

Thats magnitude for ya.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

He's trying to be objective. Let it slide.
--
Every complicated problem has a simple solution that doesn't work.

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (in FIednT7pPJj6O4vYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@charm.net) said:
|| wrote: || ||| You just have to magnify the littlest detail don't you? || || Why put him under a microscope? | | He's trying to be objective. | Let it slide.
At this stage, any illumination might help - the thread is becoming a bit out of focus...
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 10:38:15 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote:

*groan*
Mac

or maybe loupey..

Mac
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Ah, but that isn't the important question. Why is it daily graduated? Do the graduations disappear at midnight?
:)
wrote in message

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:25:52 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"

It says it is used in the aircraft industry. Reminds me of the special rules I used in my early days when I formatted computer printed reports.
This thread caught my eye. I'm looking for a good 24" rule, although I prefer one with English graduations and see-through plastic. Sometimes 12" is too short and 36" is too long.