24" ruler

Why put him under a microscope?

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thats magnitude for ya.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

He's trying to be objective. Let it slide.

Reply to
lwasserm

| In article , | B A R R Y wrote: || On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:41:39 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" || wrote: || ||| You just have to magnify the littlest detail don't you? || || Why put him under a microscope? | | He's trying to be objective. | Let it slide.

At this stage, any illumination might help - the thread is becoming a bit out of focus...

Morris Dovey

Damn.. a mistake so soon? It's only September! *g*

I don't remember ever seeing a rule with 10ths.. sort of interesting.. Mac

mac davis

or maybe loupey..

Mac

mac davis

*groan*

Mac

mac davis

Yeah,I even missed me own bithday in the early part of the month. :-(

I thought that the tenths would have been on the bottom rather on the top,this had me fooled into believing there where no eigths until I had another look.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

special rules I used in my early days when I formatted computer printed reports.

This thread caught my eye. I'm looking for a good 24" rule, although I prefer one with English graduations and see-through plastic. Sometimes 12" is too short and 36" is too long.

Reply to
Phisherman

Dunno about this one, but he ships to the states.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Sort of a waste really except for some specialized uses. I much prefer 1/8 or even 1/16 marked rulers with a greater number of whole divisible numbers.

Reply to
Upscale

As the ad said, used in the aircraft industry. Many years ago, the major tool companies started making rules graduated in 50ths and 100ths. These were specifically aimed at the aircraft and automotive industry due to their adoption of decimals for greater accuracy. Rules with decimal graduations were known for many years as "aircraft rules". Starrett still uses that name. Look at aircraft blueprints. Over the years, aircraft designers have taken the "no decimal" approach to ridiculousness. A common designation such as a

1/4-20 tap will be designated as .250-20 on an aircraft print. Instead of specifying a 3/16 corner round to ease an edge, they will specify .190 radius, just far enough away from .1875 so it won't be equivalent to a common fraction.
Reply to
CW

Just like machinist use thousandths, only bigger.

I have a rule that has 10ths and it was made by GEI and a give away from a machine shop. I never use that scale though, but it also has 1/16th. The other side is mm and half mm.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I guess that percentages are easier than fractions for some folks.. *g*

Mac

mac davis

You got me. I can only count to eight so rulers marked accordingly are much better for me. If it's marked up to sixteenths, then I know it's eighths. plus one extra line after each eighth. When they go up to ten then eighths plus two extra is more than my brain can handle. :)

Reply to
Upscale

These scales are not so bad, what got me a couple of times is when I inadvertently grabbed a pattern makers shrink rule. To those of you that have never heard of these, at first glance they look like an ordinary ruler, but they are calibrated so when the casting cools and shrinks the desired dimension will be obtained from the oversized pattern.

My personal preference in a steel rule is the one that has 10ths and 50ths in one side, and 64ths and 32nds on the other.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Using visual aids, I can count to 21.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I can handle 5 10ths being 1/2" but I'm not crazy about 2 1/2 10ths for 1/4"... whew! Mac

mac davis

Does that involve sucking in the gut? *eg*

Mac

mac davis

Nope, I can see at least 1/2.

Reply to