24" ruler

Page 1 of 3
apparently there's 10/8th's to the inch. lol
http://tinyurl.co.uk/vkjr
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

I don't understand
Tim W
Tim W wrote:

When I was at school there was eight eigths to an inch not ten?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

True. What has that got to do with a 10ths scale?

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

oops! they're 10th's on the top and eight's on the bottom. :-)
/me runs away,sharpish like.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Premature extrapolation?

Damn.. a mistake so soon? It's only September! *g*
I don't remember ever seeing a rule with 10ths.. sort of interesting.. Mac
mac davis wrote:

Yeah,I even missed me own bithday in the early part of the month. :-(

I thought that the tenths would have been on the bottom rather on the top,this had me fooled into believing there where no eigths until I had another look.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Sort of a waste really except for some specialized uses. I much prefer 1/8 or even 1/16 marked rulers with a greater number of whole divisible numbers.
As the ad said, used in the aircraft industry. Many years ago, the major tool companies started making rules graduated in 50ths and 100ths. These were specifically aimed at the aircraft and automotive industry due to their adoption of decimals for greater accuracy. Rules with decimal graduations were known for many years as "aircraft rules". Starrett still uses that name. Look at aircraft blueprints. Over the years, aircraft designers have taken the "no decimal" approach to ridiculousness. A common designation such as a 1/4-20 tap will be designated as .250-20 on an aircraft print. Instead of specifying a 3/16 corner round to ease an edge, they will specify .190 radius, just far enough away from .1875 so it won't be equivalent to a common fraction.
wrote in message

numbers.

I guess that percentages are easier than fractions for some folks.. *g*
Mac

You got me. I can only count to eight so rulers marked accordingly are much better for me. If it's marked up to sixteenths, then I know it's eighths. plus one extra line after each eighth. When they go up to ten then eighths plus two extra is more than my brain can handle. :)
Upscale wrote:

Using visual aids, I can count to 21.

Does that involve sucking in the gut? *eg*
Mac
mac davis wrote:

Nope, I can see at least 1/2. <G>

I can handle 5 10ths being 1/2" but I'm not crazy about 2 1/2 10ths for 1/4"... whew! Mac

Just like machinist use thousandths, only bigger.
I have a rule that has 10ths and it was made by GEI and a give away from a machine shop. I never use that scale though, but it also has 1/16th. The other side is mm and half mm.

These scales are not so bad, what got me a couple of times is when I inadvertently grabbed a pattern makers shrink rule. To those of you that have never heard of these, at first glance they look like an ordinary ruler, but they are calibrated so when the casting cools and shrinks the desired dimension will be obtained from the oversized pattern.
My personal preference in a steel rule is the one that has 10ths and 50ths in one side, and 64ths and 32nds on the other.
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Have they edited the ad? I don't see that in the description. and the photo shows a normal ruler with scales of 32 and 20 increments to the inches on the two edges.
--

FF

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Sir, first of all, it is a rule not a ruler. A 24" ruler would be smaller than a midget and be the boss of his own country. Second, they're not 8ths, but 10ths. Plenty of disciplines use tenths as a measurment.