220v Circuit Amperage?

Circuit breakers are designed to operate as you describe - the larger the fault the faster it trips - that's by design. I like the fact that you "tested" the 20 amp breaker. You cannot test a breaker without a specific breaker tester - and trust me - you don't have the money to buy one. If you want to see how fast a breaker is supposed to trip - request a breaker curve from the manufacturer. Breakers protect wires/insulation. If you wish to protect the motors on your woodworking equipment, you need proper coordinated overload protection on a motor specific starter. Realistically - the motor we use on woodworking machines - especially single phase models aren't really worth protecting. You can buy a $20 bimetallic overload protector and never have a problem.

Reply to
Cogeco News

Most consumer motors have internal overload protection. Look at the nameplate or look for a sticker. If the motor is not internally protected in a piece of equipment there will be an external protector. They won't get the U/L (or other recognized testing lab) certification for cord and plug connected equipment without it.

Reply to
Gfretwell

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:14:04 GMT, Igor pixelated:

NO, they're the industrial style with screws and a wavy plate which catches the wire. MUCH safer.

I have no idea how OSHA or the sparky's union ever let the stab outlet style into production. Talk a bout a fire hazard!

- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They are what we used to refer as "strip & stuff" for the residential market.

It is strictly a cheap and dirty product.

I've lost all track of pricing over the years but if somebody told me a contractor bought 10,000 pieces for less than $0.35-$0.40 each, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett