202GF, A miracle glue?!

The Garrett -Wade catalog has a PVA glue that it claims:

1) It fills gaps with strength 2) Squeeze out does not penetrate the wood and easily chips off when dried, no need for scrapping.

If it actually does this I will certainly use it, but it seems like bull when an obsure brand is radically superior to the successful brands.

Has anyone used it. (Hey, occassionally my joints have gaps...)

Reply to
toller

Well if it is like the Lee Valley 202GF, then yes. Fills gaps with strength? I've never tested it, but it does indeed fill gaps. I like the brown colour too. I have to shake it up real well before use as it the solids settle out.

John

toller wrote:

Reply to
Eddie Munster

I wonder how it holds a joint together if it "does not penetrate the wood and easily chips off when dried"?

Nova

Reply to
Leon

I've used the 2002GF glue from Lee Valley and love it. Never tried its gap filling ability, but its extended working time and thickness make it a pleasure to use.

Reply to
Scott Wilson

How about glues that hold metal pieces together. They don't penetrate the metal. The problem is the strength of the glue bond to each piece and the internal strength of the glue layer itself. A roughed up surface holds better than a smooth one because there's more glue in the between pieces volume, ain't it?

If it chips off easily, it doesn't seem to mean that the bond itself will be weak. The stresses would be different, wouldn't they?

Agkistrodon

Reply to
Agki Strodon

Same here. I prefer it to the big name brands.

Don't know if the 202GF from Garrett Wade is the same as the 2002GF from Lee Valley though. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've used Garrett Wade 202GF for at least ten years. It's good. Joints are strong, it does fill gaps, and excess does chip off.

-- Conehead

Reply to
conehead

Anybody remember the name of a wood airframe German fighter airplane developed around 1943-44 that had two engines? As I recall from the History Channel, it was supposed to be a terror in the air but the Germans couldn't put it into production because the vibration shook the wood joints apart unless they used a special glue. The factory that made the glue was bombed, the formula burned up in the fire, and the glue chemists apparently killed in the attack.

Agkistrodon

Reply to
Agki Strodon

A roughed up surface does not necessarily mean a better bond. Have you ever laid a pane of glass on top of another with water between the two? Almost impossoble to pull apart because of the surface tension.

Reply to
Leon

Still hard to believe, but worth $7 to find out. Thanks.

Reply to
toller

But that's a different physical phenomenon.

Agkistrodon

Reply to
Agki Strodon

Can't help with the German glue, but the Brits used Aerolite 306.

BTW, I still have some.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Sounds like the Messerschmitt 328 twin pulsejet.

Wasn't the only wooden aircraft in WWII, though. The British Mosquito was for a while during WWII the fastest airplane in the world, and I believe the only high performance wooden aircraft of WWII to go into volume production. The German Go.220 twin turbojet would have been a terror if it had been developed in time, but the factory was captured just as they were getting ready to start production. Then there were the He 162 variants.

Reply to
J. Clarke

As a general rule, a _clean_ surface holds better. Roughness doesn't improve bond strength with most adhesives and substrates and in many cases it weakens the bond.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's still in production. Good rundown on it at .

Reply to
J. Clarke

No, a (slightly) roughened surface holds better than a smooth one because there is more surface area for the glue to bond to.

Doug Miller

Is it? The water like glue displaces the air that is between the 2 surfaces. If there is a spot in a glued up joint that has an air space, the joint is week at that point

Reply to
Leon

I can find it tonight. AFAIR, it was colloquially known as "mosquito" (or the German equivalent) because it was a deliberate attempt to copy the De Havilland.

Tegofilm. They did make them without it, using an alternative glue, but they broke up in flight.

Towards the end, there were several German aircraft with wooden fuselages, if not wooden wings too. Natter and Salamander are some of the more famous of the "desperation weapons".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well when the glue dries, then it is a different phenomenon.

John

Reply to
Eddie Munster