2002 Unisaw

Right side of the blade.

I say it

Yes, correct but I can do that by standing on the left side of the blade.

Reply to
Leon

Past the front of the blade, that is.

Reply to
Leon

...and you're standing on the left? What about a 2' wide panel?

I'm not seeing it with any width of a board.

Reply to
krw

Biggest problem is it melts when cut with high speed implements is what I experienced. I can set my bandsaw on slow as she goes and avoid the melting problem.

Of course using the oven and a form to curved a piece could be a start of some household discord.

You can find scrap Lexan on the net, I have a box of it I bought sometime ago.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

On a 2' wide panel I stand between the blade and the fence, if using a fence.

Reply to
Leon

Hmm.. My 14" BS is not variable speed. But I have a scroll saw and a jig saw (and the JS may be variable speed). Did you melt it trying to buff the edges (I've got an 8in bench grinder that will run at 1725 RPM on slow). Thank you for making me aware of the "melting" issue.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Markem wrote in news:1u87b99rrnn1cs42mii2d54af8u9cqf7ba@

4ax.com:

I didn't have a problem with that when I cut Lexan on my table saw a year or so ago. And I've cut plexiglas (acrylic) on the table saw many times without a melting problem.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I exchanged an email with the fellow that made the video and he was very helpful. He cuts the material with a bandsaw and routes the edges using a plywood template, on a router table. I will share whatever presentable results I come up with! : )

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Same experience. AAMOF, the company I buy mine from has a Unisaw with a carbide blade setup in their shop specifically for that purpose. I have them rough cut the big sheets to make them easier to carry, then cut to spec on my table saw.

I've also made angled cuts in polycarbonates using the TS-75 with no problems, and Have also used spiral router bits with good results.

IME, the key component for good results seems to be high quality, carbide blades; and high quality spiral bits for routing.

Reply to
Swingman

I don't doubt Swingman for a second. But after looking at $70 router bits (w/bearing), one become curious what they might accomplish with a BS and emery cloth. Even with a good router bit, the result would depend on making a good template. And this is a "One-of"-project. With the "naive approach", I would double-face tape two pieces together and cut and sand to the line. Please assess.

Reply to
Bill

Sounds like a great plan to me Bill.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Thanks Mark! That's all I needed. Just *one* person to blame if it doesn't work (J/K!). In retrospect, lots of times the simple ways are the appropriate ones, and I think this is one of those times. I tried to pick up some Lexan at a Borg today, but did not score (that's a little glass humor...).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

As far as I know, the only places in Indy where you can buy polycarbonate plastic (Lexan) are:

-- Meyer Plastics on E. 65th St., 1/2 mi west of Binford Blvd

-- Auburn Plastics on Shadeland Ave, 1/4 mi north of I-70

Meyer will let you pick through their scrap bin, and not charge you for whatever you find there.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
Bill

Not sure of the price you paid, but 1/4" will be very useful. Consider that it would be great for many projects. Now if you are using this for the blade guard, consider making the arms long, so that you can counterbalance the weight of the guard if the guard comes out heavy. The counter weight would make guard lighter. This is not hard to re-engineer Bill, everything we do in life we must adjust to the situation.

Reply to
woodchucker

Thanks Jeff. Here is a link to a video showing the *actual guard* I want to make. The linkage and support are separate projects. Notice that the top of the guard never moves (while sawing).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Ok, that won't require a counter balance.

Reply to
woodchucker

I am considering using my router template (bushings?) kit, along with some double-fluted bits. According to the the folks who make Makrolon, HSS double or triple fluted bits can be used on the material (of course, that may indeed yield a lower standard). That raised a thought: It seems like, given a choice, one would want to use larger diameter bits, both for stability and to help disiplate any heat--though it would increase the effective speed (proportionally with diameter). In contrast, all of the spiral bits I've seen are of small diameter. I don't argue that smaller bits may be more versatile. I would have experimented already, but I'm going to have to make a make-shift router table to accomplish this task.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I was reading at Pat Warner's website, and he indicates that large bits be avoided for the sake of unnecessary vibration (and resonance).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Well, Pat's a smart guy with a lot of good stuff, but if you need a profile, I would not hesitate to use a large bit.

After a certain size though, it pays to use a shaper, or profile in small sizes and join if possible. Most of the time it's not hence the need for large bits.

Also you can go to vertical bits, but they scallop more.

Reply to
woodchucker