2002 Unisaw

Page 4 of 9
On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 15:19:46 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Sorry. Warranty in quotes was intended to indicate my tongue was firmly stuck to one of my cheeks. Not saying which one.
Bill wrote:

As it turns out, the stand for the saw is actually setting on it's table top. %-)
Am I likely to have much success moving things around with a crowbar and some pieces of twobyfour?
I have the names of some folks who may be able to contract for help if I am the high bidder. I'm just not sure if I trust them (to not lift it by the top).
I'm planning for at least 45 seconds of excitement for tomorrow! : ) No! Not a hot date.
Bill

Just pick it up!
Seriously, you should be able to flip it over without too much trouble. Try pushing sideways on the stand. I wouldn't put a crowbar to the top.

You shouldn't need to lift it at all. Rock it back and forth. Use 2x4 shims to get it high enough to get it on a dolly.

Glutton!

A riving knife for it doesn't cost that much. I have a 2009 Unisaw and rarely use the blade giard. The knife is great, though.

Go for the knife. It's a little dodgy installing but it works great. Which fence?

I had the same choice in '09. The Unisaw won hands down.
Bill wrote:

It just takes one other person to makes an auction difficult, and he was there (he probably thinking the same thing)! We had to go from $500 to $1050 before I convinced this person I was pretty serious about getting a saw! And that's the dollar amount I payed--$1050+10% +7% (sales tax), in case anyone is curious. I felt like I didn't want to do any more saw shopping--and this one was only about 5 miles from home--so I thought beforehand that it wasn't going to get any easier. I met a kind person who helped me get the saw home on his trailer--I had talked with him for 10 or 15 minutes before they got to auctioning the machinery. While I was collecting parts in a plastic garbage bag that I brought with me for the occasion, he asked me if I needed any help moving the saw. And I said yes, please. And he said, where's your truck. And I said, I don't have a truck. Can we put in in yours?--I said I live close by and I will be glad to give you $100 to help me. His trailer featured a hand-powered winch-which was handy pulling it up and letting it down some improvised ramps. He did a lot of work though, securing the saw. He got he out of a "tough jam". I thanked him and tried to hand him $100, buy him a tank or two of gas, etc. but he would only take $5 for gas. A nice guy who made a real difference, like many of you folks.
Bill

Sounds like a really nice guy. Do you have his name/address? You might try sending him something for the holidays (something a little nicer than a fruitcake ;-), with a note thanking him again.
You'll love the saw. Now you need a good miter gauge (the Delta sucks) and a few Forrest blades. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Yes, you don't need to tell me that. Who doesn't like fruitcake?

I'm glad because I don't have a miter guage. The saw guard, with it's splitter, and 3 insert plates (in all) were found before the sale. Also got an extra mobile stand out of the deal! What can I buy for it, Mike M.? : )

Everyone likes it so much they pass it on to their friends!

I find the guard almost useless. If I'm doing nothing but ripping for a week, I might think about putting it on. I don't like not being able to see the blade clearly but the dust collector works better with it on. ;-) I use the knife whenever I'm making through cuts, though.
You'll use the inserts. You'll probably want to buy more, if you do a lot of dado cuts. Did I mention that Forrest makes a nice dado set? ;-)
I really like my JessEm miter gauge (JessEm makes great stuff). The Incra 1000HD is really nice, too, though not as solid.

Use it for another tool? I don't think you'd get enough for it to bother selling it.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I already bought a Freud dado set, with Rockler's 20% off coupon a few months ago--anticipating that I would one day own a saw. What I need is a suitable 230W adapter/plug-inlet for the wall. The one I already purchased doesn't fit the horizontally-slotted plug. That's the sort of problem you may run into with anticipatory purchases...

Amazon had the Incra 1000HD on sale for about $110 during last Christmas season. I'll let you know if I see it. If you doubt me, check camelcamelcamel.com (I haven't checked, I may be off by a few dollars).
Bill

I replaced the cord on mine to fit the outlet I installed. I don't even remember that it came with a plug, though.

I don't doubt you. I've seen Incra stuff pretty deeply discounted. It's a great price (I think I paid just under $200, a few years ago). Be careful with it. At extreme angles, watch the trailing edge of the fence. It hangs out into the saw, unless you readjust (and recalibrate) it after changing the angle. DAMHIKT.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I double checked, it was $119.99 last year. At this point, just trying to walk around my garage/shop is "an accident waiting to happen". I need to flip the saw around, put it on it's proper stand, and put it where it needs to go,etc.
Towards that goal, I noticed that Menards has this miter saw stand on sale tomorrow for $29.99: http://www.menards.com/main/see-more/dat-two-day-sale/portamate-miter-saw-stand/p-2180574-c-13916.htm
Bill wrote:

I did a little research and found this is the Portamate 3600, and I compared it to the Portamate 4000. If it were the latter, I might bite. My current miter saw configuration take up more space than it justifies when I'm not using it.
Bill

Space can be a problem. Since we moved to this house, that's not my problem anymore. I need time to fill the 2000^ft unfinished[*] basement. ;-)
[*] so unfinished that there was one outlet in the entire thing.

----------------------------------------------- Norm to the rescue.
http://tinyurl.com/mhgw52m
Lew
On 11/27/2013 7:48 PM, Bill wrote:

FWIW I bought the Incra 1000HD about 18 months ago and love it. It is so rock solid an accurate that for quite a while I atually quit using my Dubby Miter Sleds. The Dubbys are great up to about 25" but for 1x8 material the Incra works well.
One other note I also bought the next size up telescoping fence. The measured capacity is now 49"
And add the a sacrificial fence for tear out free cross cuts.

I probably would have bought the JessEm to replace the Kreg that I had but JessEm no longer makes that tank of a miter gauge.

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:33:43 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:

[...]
The only problem I see with this post is that it's not a new thread, onto i tself. Purchasing a Unisaw, with the latest model Unifence/side table, mob ile base & motor cover deserves a thread all its own, with some more braggi ng and feel-good statements. *That extra moble base might be able to be re trofitted & used with a pending(?) jointer, too.
I'm excited for you, Bill. ^5
Sonny

Great story ... this country is full of folks like that, you just don't hear about them on the evening news. Sounds like a great start to Thanksgiving story. Count those blessings.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 11/27/2013 7:33 PM, Bill wrote:

Congratulations Bill. Good luck with your new saw. Give it a thorough look over. Clean it up.. you can use 400 to 600 wet dry sandpaper, for the top, or a green scotch brite.. cut it round and use your random orbital sander... wax it using butcher wax and enjoy.
Build yourself a cross cut sled for 90degree cuts and look for the incra miter on sale for angled cuts.
And go make something.. build some jigs to learn how to use the tool before you tackle your first big project.
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

Thank you!

Yes, it needs a bit of cleaning up, and that will help me to familiarize myself with it. I should read the manual too, because I learned some things while I was scanning it. In particular that the blades should be locked before the saw is turned on. It makes sense, but I didn't know that already. I have some 400 and 600 wet or dry. Thank you for mentioning that (below).

Yes, I will!