$2000.00 to spend on tools

Page 2 of 2
I've got the "S" and I love it, dead on out of the box. No problems what so ever.
Tony
www.votepair.org

I can't speak for the tablesaw you are planning on purchasing (got to be better than my crapsman).
I've had the G0555 for a few months. I really like it. Never owned a bandsaw before, so like you I went with Grizz on value proposition. I don't think you can get more bandsaw for the buck. Plenty of power (resawn up to 5.5" honey locust, maple, osage, cocobolo no probs), get a timberwolf blade for heavier duty work. Accurate cuts, if you are careful, and vigilent with your setup. You will not regret purchasing this saw.

If you leave in Chicago land area, this week october 9,10,11 is a woodworkind show on Odium and you may get some better deals there, otherwise I would suggest to get a good Table Saw (get cabinet saw) first ($1500) then later down the road a Mini max band saw or Lugana and then the rest, if you want good suff? Maxen

cabinet saw)

With all respect, the Grizzly saw Joe is considering is a cabinet saw and is good stuff. If the $1,500 saw is the Unisaw or even a Jet with extension table, the Grizzly is still an excellent value. For starters, when I started shopping three years ago it was difficult to tell what a basic Unisaw cost and it still is. All of them seen in stores, Amazon, etc come with extension tables, rails, etc that will not fit some of our garages. These machines cost $1,600 to $1,850 today. If you start hanging tables and extended rails on a Grizzly 1023 series saw you are still in the $1,000 to $1,200 range. The main reason for lower prices is reason is Grizzly sells direct.
- The table finish of the Griz is better. - The Handwheels on the Griz still use plated, machined lock knobs now absent from the Unisaw - While the 1023 motor cover is a low cost option, it is still made of metal. Unisaw? - The Shop Fox Classic fence used on the 1023 has been rated as an equal to the Beismeier on the Unisaw
Admittedly the blade guard on the Unisaw still outclasses the Grizzly. Can anyone tell me what else you get for the additional $600 or more? Please don't say durability or precision. Cabinet shops, industrial shops, and luthier's shops around the country are equipped with Grizzly machines. Few of us have to match the luthier's precision. I am not saying Griz doesn't have some dogs. They, like all others, do have problems and that is why we all need to do research on each purchase.
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 03:28:41 GMT, Joe Willmann

What more do you need?
decided to post "$2000.00 to spend on tools" to rec.woodworking:

Just getting more for less is not necessarily going to be a good thing. Some inferior tools might be cheaper or larger, but they are a bad bargain. This applies generally.
I would seriously consider an 8" jointer. I'm not necessarily working within your $ context tho. Perhaps you could forgo the bandsaw for now and get the larger jointer?
HTH,
/ts
--
find / -iname "*gw*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

In heaven, there is no beer,
I am the original poster and I want to thank everybodies input. Nobody made a recomendation for a better quality set of tools that would fit in my budget. So I will probably go with my original list.
I wish I could get a 8inch jointer but space is a problem. I keep an eye out for used but they are few and far between.
I found some things on ebay that cost less but shipping makes it more expensive than buying new. Go figure.
I am lucky enough to live in the Seattl;e WA area and gound out that Grizzly has a show room in the state. So before I commit I will go there and check things out on site! And if things work out It will save about $200.00.
Areound here I have found Rigid 6 inch jointer for $349.00 and their 14 inch bandsaw for $399.00 also.
Anyway, thanks for the help!