$2000.00 to spend on tools

Page 1 of 2
I need joiner, table saw, band saw. Going grizzly all the way gets me 10 inch tablesaw - 3 HP G1023Z - $925 14 inch band saw with rizer G0555 $425 6 x 47 joiner G1182Z $325
for a total of 1675 pluss about 200 shipping and another 125 for mobile bases - brings it to - Ta-Da $2000.00
Where can I get more for less?
Joe Willmann wrote:

Don't some of the catalogs give you free shipping if the total of the order is great than $????.??
Josie

If you want a 3HP cabinet saw, I doubt you'll do better than that. You might want to look at the 8" grizzly jointer though. But then you wouldn't have $$ for the mobile bases, I guess.
Mike
I didn't mention this in my earlier post but Mike is right. For more money (quite a bit more) you can get the Griz G0500 8"x 75" Jointer. My son in law took delivery on one of them a few months ago and it is a great looking machine.

wouldn't

I have both the G1023SL and the G0500 Jointer. Love them both. I am very glad I got these.
I have used the full width and length of the jointer on both Cherry and Hard Maple. Very smooth cuts with the 4 cutting blade and plenty of power.
TWS http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm

Make sure you have money left for WOOD! Otherwise, the wife might not like you pawning her microwave! :)
"Joe Willmann" <writes:

You have already made up your mind, why are you wasting time?
Lew
"Joe Willmann" wrote in message ...

Where? Just about anywhere. But more what? More tools? Same brand tools for less money? Other brand tools for the same money? Other brand tools for more money but better quality?
FWIW, buying all the same brand tools is a mistake you will likely regret later. Spend the time to find the best in each tool category you can afford. Also, it would help if you describe roughly the type of work you want to do as that will determine the tools you should consider.
My 2c worth.
I guess the short answer, with any other considerations, would be - Taiwanese clones.
Greg

Buy used
Recent purchases Delta 14" metal/wood bandsaw in nearly new condition $150 Unisaw $350 Makita planer/jointer $500 I wanted this as I know how well it works with good blades Delta turret 12" radial arm saw $300 Bosch plunge router $50 Jet shaper with cutters $150 Powermatic drill press $200
All the equipment is in nearly new condition. Retail price for new is much much more. A 20 year old tool with little use is as good as some new equipment or beter.

I'm going to move to your neighborhood. I read the paper every day and the local shopper every week. In three years I've only seen a Unisaw for sale one time and it was $1200. That ad appeared the day after I bought my new contractor saw.
Edwin Pawlowski said:

You and me both. I scan the local trader pub and the metro paper regularly, and have NEVER seen anything worth calling about. Sometimes I believe these folks make up stories about finding Unisaws for $350 just to gloat. ;-)
Or to re-enforce the lies they tell their better halves...
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote in

It's a typo. The Unisaw must have been $1350. ;-)
That, or Jim's picture is hanging in the Post Office.
Patriarch
Good. I got a response. I worked for a science museum a few years ago. They opened in 1988. They bought a bunch of tools new and some used. Redmond Equipment is the sticker on some of the tools. As some of you know, science museums are not the sexiest museums to support. Unless you have a huge endowment you may very well fail. That museum is not the only science museum in the state suffering or on the verge of collapse. In any event when they closed doors I vultured in with bids for tools I wanted and tools that some of my friends wanted. Oportunities knock and sometimes you get lucky and answer.
The bandsaw was from another non-profit that has their annual garage sale in September. A widow gave them the a bunch of tools when her husband passed on. At that sale I said some of the prices were too low and I paid more.
So I now have a 3 phase Unisaw and a 3 phase drill press sitting in the garage. Not much use. Do I just get new motors which seems cheaper than a phase converter? I am still debating that.
Today's task is moving them from the garage to the basement. You know that having some sling straps and a hayfork on the front end loader of the John Deere makes it easier to unload stuff off the back of the pickup or to move it to the basement door.
Other task for the next few weeks is to design and weld some mobile bases. Not enough room for my bicycles and the woodworking tools. Then the debate of which of my old tools I keep and which ones I sell or give away. I have such fond memories of the Delta contractors saw, early 80's vintage and the 10" Delta turret radial arm saw.
I am taking down a dust collection system. To big for me but if anyone wants it they can send me an email. I will sell for the time it takes me to strike it. I will post pictures on my web site sometime soon. I recall it has 6 or 8 filter bags, a 10 or 12" duct going in, two 55 gallon drums to collect stage one particles. Noisy as all get out.

The EE can tell you better about phase converters but at $350 plus the cost of a new motor, still a good deal.
On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 14:25:23 GMT, Jim Behning

Funny how those work... the folks across the street were selling some tools a while back, and they had brand new Craftsman dust collector still in the box they wanted $50 for (someone else got it while I was going to the ATM, drat!) but they wanted $125 for an off-brand scroll saw that was beat to hell- and wouldn't take a penny less.

I won't do either... 3-phase? That's just too much work to make it worthwhile. Tell you what, since you already went through the trouble of hauling the things home, I'll come pick up those nasty tools, and take 'em away for you- then you won't have to worry about it any more; it would be my good deed for the week!
Of course, if you really want to give it a go, I know my uncle used to generate his own third phase in his sharpening shop- I was not too familiar with the system in it's totality, but I know that the part I saw was just a large electric motor and a switch. To start it, he'd wind a cord around the spindle of the motor and yank it, then flip the switch while it was spinning- the motor would then keep spinning on it's own, and (presumably) generate the 3rd phase. There *could* have been a converter hiding somewhere upstairs in the office (then again the motor could have been a converter, for all I know), but it looked to me like it was just some creative wiring- and it worked like a charm for him for a very long time. Might be worth checking out.

Yeah, way too much work... I'm telling you, I'll come save you all that trouble if you like!

You know how you hear people that say they found such a deal. You just look and look and look and maybe you get lucky. I have been looking for a drill press for a few years. I want the good stuff but I don't like that retail price. Same for the bandsaw sort of. I did not have as much of a lust.
The 3 phase question. I have a working Delta contractors saw. Works ok for me. I can wait until I pay off this group of tools before I buy a single phase motor for the saw. I have a bunch of 3/4 hp motors but all are the flexible mount which will not work for the press. Wah.
What you saw at your uncle's shop was a phase converter. The motor lets the tool work a bit harder. There are a series of capacitors that dump some juice to the third leg since you only have 2 legs in a standard house. The rope is to get the motor turning. Google searches explain it in detail.
The tools made it to the basement just fine so don't lose any more sleep worrying about those tools sitting in unconditioned space.

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 00:40:42 GMT, Jim Behning

Awww... you suck. So, how do you track down those spiffy deals?

Do you live near one of the showrooms? Ask the wife if she'd like to go for a ride in the country...maybe plan a vacation near there. Oh by the way honey, have I got a surprise for you. On another note, look for grizzly on eBay. Have fun! Joe

Joe - I can't comment on the band saw or jointer. However, I think you can do even better on the saw. Skip the "Z" version of the 1023 and buy the basic 1023S. This will save you $100 and you might be happier in the long run. Reasons:
1) The Shop Fox "Precision" fence used on the "Z" contains moving parts - some wheels that help guide the fence on the rails.
2) Before I bought my 1023S a couple of years ago I came across some reviews that said the wheels required maintenance and there might be a wear issue.
3) I visited the Grizzly store in Springfield a few weeks before my purchase and got a first-rate demonstration from one of their reps. I asked about the differences between the ShopFox Classic used on the "S" and the "Precision" fence on the "Z". Being a loyal Grizz guy he said both were good, the Classic was built like a rock and he personally owned the "S".
4) WOOD Magazine reviewed several aftermarket-available fences a few issues back and the Shop Fox Classic used on the "S" came in as a very close comparison with the Beismeier. In contrast, the Shop Fox "Precision" came in with issues including some clearance problems.
5) I will tell you that during my visit to Springfield, the "Precision" felt absolutely as smooth as glass. By then, I had doubts that it would stay that way. The "Classic" used on the "S" is also smooth but in a heavier sense - the fence is built like a fire plug.
Consider going with the "S" version and buy another toy.
RonB