200 Yr. Old Oak Tree

Page 2 of 2

At an ATM the man ahead of me walked away from it muttering something and was mad. I had to call him three times to get him back to remove the $60.00 in the machine. Nary a "Thanks" or "Go to hell" did I get.

Mike in Mystic wrote:

You got it, Mike! If this was a private citizen instead of a pastor, he wouldn't be catching this flak.

He would if the goal was extortion.
We may not be getting the whole story, but how do you interpret: "The Rev. Johnnie Wilson gave the people of Centralia, Ill., an ultimatum: Come up with $75,000 in 30 days or he would chop down a giant bur oak tree on his church's property to make room for parking spaces."
Perhaps a lot of the story was left out, perhaps a lot of facts are missing. But what I read does not come across very well. If it was in fact, an ultimatum, not a request for help.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Good point. I dunno which came first, the public outcry to save the tree or the pastor's offer to spare it for $75K. The story is cunningly ambiguous.

that Papa never worked a day in his life? And Mama, some bad talk going around town saying that Papa had three outside children and another wife. And that ain't right. Hey, talk about Papa doing some store front preaching. Talked about saving souls and all the time leeching. Dealing in debt and stealing in the name of the Lord."
The Temptations

Quote: The Rev. Johnnie Wilson gave the people of Centralia, Ill., an ultimatum: Come up with $75,000 in 30 days or he would chop down a giant bur oak tree on his church's property to make room for parking spaces.
Sounds like good Christian attitude to me.
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:14:51 -0400, Guess who

I wonder if he'd let me chop her down and keep the lumber.....

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/metroeast/story/92D05CB4C39BDF8C8625703E00149753?OpenDocument
WOW! You all took that about 16 different directions!!! Here I was thinking about the wood and we went down the path of the newspaper. What I should have mentioned is that the St. Louis Post Dispatch is considered a very liberal rag for a fairly conservative town. There was a paper years ago - The Globe Democrat that was conservative but after numerous attempts to reformat the paper, it went under. I sure to miss that paper - it kept the Post Dispatch in check. They are most certainly anti-church and anti-war.