200 Yr. Old Oak Tree

Lary, I've worked in newspapers for more than 25 years and your suggestion that a reporter would write a story, or that an editor would let one go to print, that was anything less than totally objecti...

Nope. Can't finish that sentence. Not with a straight face.

"Run that baby!"

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

>>WOW! You all took that about 16 different directions!!! Here I was thinking about the wood and we went down the path of the newspaper. What I should have mentioned is that the St. Louis Post Dispatch is considered a very liberal rag for a fairly conservative town. There was a paper years ago - The Globe Democrat that was conservative but after numerous attempts to reformat the paper, it went under. I sure to miss that paper - it kept the Post Dispatch in check. They are most certainly anti-church and anti-war.

Reply to
D Steck

But common. Probably 97% of the people you meet are that way.

You obviously don't know much about small town papers and those how write for them. Ours is fairly conservative, but tries for balance, but the editor and writer (one of each, plus a sports writer who does about

78% of the paper) are unable to communicate particularly well in print. Mostly, what gets printed is what they manage to get up on screen without losing large chunks during a save.

I note that someone down the line said the paper has the reputation of being liberal in a conservative area. I've also noted that EVERY newspaper in this very, very conservative area where I live is classed as liberal. It seems that if you ever disagree with Bush, Cheney and Rove you're a liberal. That's life.

None of us know anything more about the story than what was present on the story. Speculation on motives is just so much bullshit in such cases.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Do newspapers still HAVE editors? I catch so many simple grammatical errors in our local paper that I've given up hope. Hell, they don't even run spel chuckers there, let alone check grammar.

Good cartoon!

- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. ---

Website Application Programming for YOU!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Shouldn't reporters be in that 3%, or is objective fact-finding no longer a requirement for employment in that field?

I should. I live in a town of 23,000 in rural OR.

-See my post to Dave Balderstone regarding editors.-

Sorry for using the "L" word in front of you. I've disagreed with nearly everything the current president has said and done, but someone would have to be blind, deaf, and dumb to think of me as a liberal or a potential Democrat, though some really conservative types do. I'm sick to see what our political system has become and can't, in good conscience, ever vote for another Rep -or- Dem.

Our local paper consists of a mix of radically conservative and radically liberal writers, with maybe one moderate thrown in for good measure. (I would have said balance, but I know better.)

Granted. But I tried to read that article with an open mind, and what I read sounded more like a subjective tirade than an objective report.

- - - Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever. ---

Website Application Programming for YOU!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
nospambob

Hell, at our paper almost everyone in the "stringing words together" department has "editor" in their job title.

What most newspapers lack are "proofreaders" and "fact checkers".

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

And "headline writers" who read the article first....

Reply to
George