2 Bench Shop Model

By "wrap around" do you mean "circline" (google that and you'll find some pictures)?

If so, the standard sizes are 22 watt 8 inch diameter, 32 watt 12 inch, and 40 watt 16 inch--they're sized so that a fixture can be made that takes the three bulbs nested together. There are also some oddballs that have two tubes in one unit and the like but they're relatively rare.

40 watt circline fixtures are rare--they aren't enough smaller than a 2x20w straight tube fixture to be worthwhile.
Reply to
J. Clarke

Home Depot? Whatever you do, do NOT buy anything from a brand called Lights of America. It's worse than trash in every experience I've had with them for myself, my family, and my friends. Trash 12/Quality 0 so far.

What do you mean by "wrap around"? Frosted covers? I'd suggest bare lamps since the frosted covers take away too much of the light.

On second thought, you might like the style with the grates on the front if you're considering hitting them all the time with your project pieces. ;)

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'll second that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thank you for your comment. The idea of using benches as an outfeed table crossed my mind too. The TS I am considering is 40" and independent of that I decided that 40" was an ideal height for my bench (based on a mock-up setup of cardboard boxes with a plane in my hands). So with a mobile base on the TS, that will leave me just a few inches to compensate for, and in the right direction too! I got lucky on that one, but I'm not sure it will be so easy to move the benches around.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I think that's about the only brand of fluorescent lighting they sell at Mennards. That's why I visited Home Depot! : )

Here's the point of view I've acquired about my BORGS:

Mennards--priced best. Home Depot -- 10% higher Lowes --20% higher.

The Home Depot people seem to try the hardest. But the Home Depot drywall knives were crappy even at $10.49 ("insta-rust"). I like the ones I got from Lowes. One thing I like about my location is I can visit all 3 stores in about an hour. One thing I don't like about it is that I don't have weather like Lew has.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

This is what I was looking at (Lithonia Lighting Square White Basket

2-Bulb 32 Watt T8 Wraparound Lens Ceiling Fixture)

Bill

dust collector when used in a shop.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

that just takes a standard 4 foot T8 tube. My local HD has them in a variety of colors--if you don't see them on the shelf then scream bloody Hell at the manager.

Reply to
J. Clarke

> --------------------------------

Hmmm..I just got back from HD to take another look and they omitted the mention of that feature. ; ) Lowes was closed..lol

At first I thought I wanted "sunny bright" (5000K) bulbs but, after thinking it over, 6000K would probably create a more comfortable environment. I did locate both of them in the 32W T-8 variety (it was indeed the T-12's that were 40W).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Hmmm..I just got back from HD to take another look and they omitted> the mention of that feature. ; ) Lowes was closed..lol------------------------Better choice for a shopLithonia Lighting 2-Light Flush-Mount Industrial Fluorescent LightModel # L 2 32 120 GESB Internet # 100165074Store SKU #

255031$38.96/EA-EachLew
Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Better choice for a shopLithonia Lighting 2-Light Flush-Mount Industrial Fluorescent Light

description says: "This light is ideal for areas requiring low-to-medium light levels including utility rooms and storage areas."

Does the description indicate it's suitable for "low-to-medium light levels", rather than "high" light levels because it lacks a lens/cover to diffuse the light?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Menard's is a more-depressing place to shop that Walmart. And filthy -- even for a hardware store-cum-lumberyard.

Reply to
Steve

>> The description says: "This light is ideal for areas requiring

It seems strange to me that the description indicates that the color temperature is 3500K when it doesn't even come with bulbs.

The description indicates that it has a "magnetic ballast". Is that something that should concern me (I thought I was advised to seach for an electronic ballast). Do you think this one is okay for cool temperatures?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

What makes you say that? I might agree that it is less color-coordinated or thematic than the other 2 stores I named.

And filthy --

I don't remember seeing anything there that made me feel that way. What did you see that upset you?

My criticism of the store would be that some of the salespeople know what they are talking about and some of the rest of them fake it--and sometimes you don't find out until you get home which sort "helped" you.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

------------------------------ You need a luminaire with a down shade that provides about 5% uplight.

Yes today you want F32T8 lamps and electronic ballasts.

Use either of the following shop lights: HBSL-35, $24.83 HBSL-25G, $22.68

Both are equipped with a pull chain switch and a 5 ft cord and plug.

Run conduit with receptacles on ceiling and you are good to go.

1 luminaire for every 35 sq ft will give you 71 FC maintained with a 20% dirt depreciation allowance.

You just got a free lighting design, enjoy it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thank you, Bill

I assume I can wire those fixtures with romex instead. Running conduit with receptacles suggests sequential/branch wiring (to my untrained ears). Based on other things I've read, I expect parallel wiring may be better for this application. Or, are you of the opinion that this does not make any, or (obviously) only minimal difference?

I appreciate the difference in the fixtures you suggested. The "down-shade" appear really helpful. I guess in exchange for that, I have to permit them to collect a little dust...

Reply to
Bill

It was probably the 4' length which prompted that statement. While covers do diffuse light, they also absorb and diminish it. Forget the Borgs and shop at a lighting/electrical distributor such as Platt. Prices might be ten bucks higher, but you'll get much higher quality.

If it doesn't indicate a temperature range, it's likely NOT good for freezing temps. The magnetic ballast raised my fur, too.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Does anyone here (without opaque cataracts) need that light density? That's a 4' grid, Lew, roughly one fixture in the middle of every 4x8 panel. I'm happy with 5 4' fixtures in a 20x24' space. You're suggesting FIFTEEN. And daylight bulbs feel brighter than those crappy, amber, 2700k warm white thangs from the Borgs.

At your density, Cha Freakin' CHING! both to buy and use. Saaaaay, do you work for the electric company?

I wear glasses and am blown out by high density lighting like that. YMMV.

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

--------------------------------------- If you choose to work in a poorly lighted cave, that's your business; however, it has long been established the good lighting improves safety and productivity.

IES design guide for a machine shop is 100FC maintained, thus 71FC maintained would be considered as rather modest.

BTW, if you ever decide to upgrade, 3 rows/4 luminaries/row, would do a good job.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------------ No, you can't run romex exposed.

If you don't want to bend metal conduit, then run 3/4" plastic, surface mounted on ceiling.

Use octagon box with duplex receptacle cover, and molded off sets in and out of octagon boxes.

No conduit bender involved, just a hacksaw and some Oatey "Purple" solvent and glue.

Devote a 2P-20A C'Bkr to lighting with alternate luminaries fed from opposite phase to minimize the strobe effect of fluorescent lighting.

Especially where rotating equipment is in use.

Arrange as follows:

Row 1: A-B-A-B-A Row 2: B-A-B-A-B Row 3: A-B-A-B-A

Where:

A = L1-N B = L2-N

Very easy to do if you pull "L1", "L2", an "N" in the same pipe.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett