Subject Author Posted Replies

Premium tools - some are worth it!
I have been thinking about the usefulness of some "premium" tools, and thei r uses over the years. Most of them are quite affordable now due to the fa ct they have outlasted their patent protection,...
32
32

Don't like the rear legs on this.
I was browsing for wood plans and found this bench. I would not use this exact design due to the rear legs. The designer seemed to want it not to tip over back. But threw away longevity. I may alter...
1
1

Gel varnish - seems like I made a poor choice for this project
... or perhaps more than one. My first mistake may have been the fairly dark stain. I see now what perhaps should have been obvious: a dark stain accentuates flaws. My scant past experience with...
4
4

Beginner air compressor question
Planning to buy an air compressor tomorrow morning, on sale (6-gallon, 1.5HP, Fini brand unit at Menards for $79). Also planning to buy a 25' or 50' of 3/8" hose since I've read here that those are...
34
34

Diablo blades for table saw
I got a freud diablo blade for my circular saw and was really surprised at how good the blade is. I am considering a diablo for my table saw but wanted to know if anyone's using one here. Do you like...
13
13

Harbor Fright VS Woodcraft
In a recent conversation where I asked about Woodcraft as a vendor mention was made of HF having some of the exact same products with different labeling. I would note that I have observed over the...
5
5

Rikon Slow Grinder review
Bought the Rikon slow grinder at Woodcraft. I saw lots of reviews, and also youtube videos. First off price is good. There was a steel city grinder there for 269, but for that price I'll go with a...
7
7

Advice for repair of wood stool
Trying my hand at the repair of an Amish made wooden stool for a friend. Two years ago, one of the rungs broke out so I turned a replacement and put it back with some good old yellow glue. Now the...
14
14

Help, glue up for turning.
Want to turn a gearshift knob (missing) for my daughter's 1948 Pontiac. How do I glue up some light and dark wood so I end up with a spiral or checker design. Also, what glue to use? Thanks for all...
3
3

Makita 18v 1/2 Hammer Drill - Heads-up
Might want to check this out. Don't know how long this will last, and it may in only certain areas but it is an excellent price for those looking for another drill, battery and charger: Normally the...
29
29

Woodcraft
I need a few cast iron saw extensions for a project. The SawStop ones claim to be ground to within .0001. (I will be surprised if they really are, but very pleased.) Rockler has them for less, but...
44
44

Does this look safe?
Not to me, it doesn't. Especially at 53 seconds. I can't claim to speak from experience, but I will not be trying that method. The Woodpeckers new Corner Radius Quick Jig is your quick and easy answer...
38
38

Replacing fascia boards
I own a 2000 manufactured home. I need to replace the rotting fascia boards. What is the best wood to use?
25
25

Jummywood
Got my hands on a mess of it and started making a bunch of sawdust with it! Since the "full blown shop" won't be ready until next spring - been worki ng on the smaller stuff: crosses, benches, foot...
3
3

Making wood flooring
Would it be difficult to make solid hardwood red oak tongue and groove type flooring at home? I don't mind putting in the work but buying prefinished is very expensive. I wondered if a person could...
19
19