18" Craftsman drum sander

In the hunt for a drum sander. My garage is pretty full of machines now, so have been seriously looking at the 10-20 which I can store down low if necessary.
But at $500 bucks I wonder if I should step up.
Has anyone taken the 18" New craftsman drum sander home yet? At $699 and free payments for quite a while, the extra $200 might be worth the space pain in the much larger capacity.
<http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid921568000&tab=opt#tablink>
part number 00921568000 at sears if the link doesn't work, cookies and etc..
If I could get the same sort of deal on a delta X5 18" I might buy it instead, but their seems to be no "deal" to be had out there.
Alan
arw01 wrote:

If I were you I'd consider a Performax. The big difference is that the *drum* moves up and down rather than the table as in the Sears & Delta. So? So that means you can make table extensions - you'll need them - for the Performax and they will always be in the correct position relative to the table. Can't do that with the Sears & Delta.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Should have said a *bigger* Performax.
--
dadiOH
____________________________

On the other hand, the Performax (at Rockler) is priced at $899.99 and belts (spiral wound on the drum) run $32.49 EACH. And the Performax is 2" narrower (effectively, 4" narrower).
Just mulling...
Jim Stuyck
On the other hand he could make one himself with link below: http://www.rockslide.org/drum%20sander.html
Or, buy a Ryobi's generic from woodwright Tools Inc. (Disclosure: I bought this sander at Ebay, excellent machine and an honest and responsible seller). http://www.woodwrighttools.com/store/product_info.php?products_id8

I *HAVE* made that gizmo! It does have some limitations vs. the commercial versions mentioned in this thread, such as about 1.75" stock thickness and 12" width. Works well, but can't really compete with a 16" (32") or 18" (36") machine with 5" thickness capacity and an automatic feed.
Jim Stuyck
Jim Stuyck wrote:

Why buy pre-cut wraps? I buy bulk (forget the length, 100'?) for about $50, cut as needed and get enough from one roll so the individual cost is less than $5.00. _______________

Depends on which one you get :)
Even with the 16-32 I'd rather lose the width and have the ability to have an extended support table. Try sanding a 30" wide, 8' table top without a support...
-- dadiOH ____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

the
Delta.
I wouldn't (ok, didn't) think this that big a deal. I fed my workbench top, in halves, through the delta with no problems (each half about 13x84x3). I did use support rollers, way out, but didn't adjust them much, they were just there to help support before I could adjust the bed and resume. The pressure rollers put a lot of pressure and has never been a problem.
Got a friend with the older 22x44 Performax and it is a nice beefy machine. The new Performax 16x32 (and even the new 22x44, I believe) just didn't seem as beefy as the delta. Both can have alignment problems and racking under heavy loads, but the Delta drum isn't as likely to flex as the arm is welded steel box beam, the Performax, while rigid, has a mechanical connection that must have some give or it would not slide. Delta table is supported all around, although the sprocket system has the potential (never observed) of getting one side out of alignment.
Bottom line, both good machines.
I had a Performax dual drum that had the bed move up and down, not the head. It was a pain. Did you guys notice that the Sears unit is a belt sander. It takes belts, not wraps. max

max wrote:

I was wondering about that. It surely looked like a belt sander. The "general features" describes it as "sander type: belt". The full product description mentions a "# 4 in. diameter drum wrap". Mebbe Sears is not sure what it is. Anyway you can't buy one since it is "temporarily out of stock...".     twitch,     jo4hn

I bought some precut Klingspor abrasive roll at Ebay for about $3-$4, plus shipping. If you have the time to monitor Ebay closely, you can find very good discounts.