18"bandsaws

Now that I've gotten my tax check back I'm looking at 18", or there about bandsaws. In your opinion what is the best on the market for the dollar? I've been looking at the Jet, Delta, Ricon, and the Grizzly (17" or 19"). Your help would be appreciated. Jim Heater

Leon wrote:

If you are thinking veneer with a smoother finish, consider a carbide blade. And maybe a step up to a heavier saw than those listed.
Jim Heater wrote:

I agree with the other poster.. If you are going to cut up bowl blanks, probably any of them will do. Someone did a writeup review on the Rikon awhile ago (on this group, within a month or two ago). It was pretty accurate. I have it. I'd like to add that mine vibrates a lot more than my older (smaller) Delta. I've used the Jet and Grizzly as well. I like the Rikon better than them (They all have blemishes/faults that a bandsaw that size in the $900 range will have). The Rikon seemed to be a lot more powerful. Never tried the Delta. It's pricier, so maybe it's better.. or maybe not.
Again, the Rikon isn't a cadallac, but I think it's pretty good for hobbyist use. Or at least the older model was. I understand it's been re-engineered
I just ordered the 18" Rikon from Woodcraft.
Check out these links for reviews etc.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/cool_woodworking_links.htm
--
Stoutman