16 or 18 gauge nailer

Page 1 of 2
Hi. I'm going to be installing some 3/4" poplar trim on 3/4" wood backing and need some advice. I have both 16 and 18 gauge nailers. Because of the style of the trim, I'm going to have to nail pretty close to the edges, so I figure the 18 gauge is the best choice. We got the trim custom made and the wife will kill me if I split it. I have a 2 part question. First, if I go with the 18 gauge, would the 3/4" poplar just create a bunch of 18 gauge pretzels and second, since the brads are only 1.25", is 1/2" penetration into the backing enough? I guess the other question would be, if I go with the 16 gauge, is it likely to split the wood?
Thanks.
Arbee wrote:

splitting it. Might want to go with a longer nail. However using the heavier nail will cause more filling than the brad.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

There are some areas of this trim where I have plenty of room (at the top and bottom of these 4 ft pieces) and areas where I have to be closer to the edge. I think I'm going to use the long 16 gauge in those roomy areas and use the 18 in the tight spaces just for some reinforcement.
Thanks all for your help.

Poplar is pretty soft, use some glue and you'll be fine.

The smaller (diameter) fastener the better if you're concerned about splitting. Another thing to consider is that most pneumatic fasteners have a chisel point (not round). IMHO, you want to turn the gun so that the chisel point cuts through the grain instead of spreading the grain as it goes in. In thin stock I'll turn the gun so that the chisel point is perpendicular to the direction of the grain. This is a lesson learned from hanging miles of casing and applies to both pins and finish nails. YMMV
Mike O.
Arbee wrote:

Is this going to be edging? If so, have you considered just using glue and holding it in place with masking tape while the glue dries?

I've used 18 gauge nailers with oak. Poplar will not be an issue. As for penetration...is there any way you can use longer brads?

Certainly more likely. Have you considered pre-drilling clearance holes in the trim and nailing by hand near the ends?
Chris
or...you could ..."use a few brads to hold it until the glue dries..." <g>
Skip www.ShopFileR.com

"Arbee" wrote

All else being equal, the higher the gauge the less likely you are to split your trim. However, if your trim is expensive/rare/in limited supply, why take the chance ... when close to an end, pre-drill and use small finishing nails.
BTW, this is a perfect opportunity to add to your tool arsenal and buy a good 21ga pin nailer. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

I am wondering, does the one you have in mind come in a nice black with gremlin green trim?
;^)
Robert

Mine does, mine does, mine does. LOL... I have the Grex and it came with an assortment of every size pin that it will shoot in quantities of 1000 each. The gun has performed flawlessly and is fun to use. I think I have used and almost run out of 6 or 7 of the sizes. It shoots up to 1-3/8" and down to 3/8. It has no problem making a long pin disappear in hard wood but as you might suspect it can come out unexpectedly in weird grain. I never thought I would use it as much as I do.

I shoulda known.....
LMAO!!
Robert

Psssst, Leon... did you see this thing?
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/autos_content_landing_pages-4791441.jpg
wrote in message

Psssst, Leon... did you see this thing?
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/autos_content_landing_pages-4791441.jpg
No! IE could not display the web page.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/autos_content_landing_pages-4791441.jpg
If it weren't for the Toyota badging (not to mention the word "TOYOTA in the window) I would have guessed it to be the redesign of the Honda Ridgeline.
Dave in Houston

With a fat Aston Martin nose. <G>
<
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/picture-214_full-800x600.jpg

Nothing new under sun, I guess.
Here's some samples of the high-beltline designs from Chrysler. 73 years ago! Not so much the nose as the side view.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/1935VoisinC28AerosportCoupefvl.jpg
And where did today's Malibu's nose come from? (btw, that's a 2001 S4 Bi-turbo) Even more pronounced is the fact that the newer Audis are being ripped off. Hell, even Nissan stole the TT outright. Bastards.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/pinstripe.jpg
Don't get me started.
OK.. where did the nose on a Malibu come from ??? (I got a 2008)
Robatoy wrote:

"Leon" wrote

Consider yourself lucky indeed!! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Just to follow up, did it yesterday. 16 gauge where I had plenty of room, and 18 in the tight spots just for reinforcement. Worked beautifully.
Even got my crown about 90% done yesterday. A real accomplishment when you consider my house has angles that Dr Suess would be proud of.
Thanks again for the help. Now I just need to make a decent case for the pin nailer...
Try this:
http://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/abat.html
Leon wrote:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/autos_content_landing_pages-4791441.jpg

Nope ... that's Leon's, mine is Italian colored. :)
An "Omer"
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08