16" Gap butchers meat saw? How different from a woodworking machine?

Could you use a butchers saw for wood?

Reply to
JackN

I tried it once. Boy, was he pissed at me. I'm not allowed back in the Stop & Shop anymore.

Aside from being stainless and washable, I don't know the differences in blade speed, etc. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, but you wouldn't want to. The guides are nothing like accurate enough. There's also a problem that they're only designed for one size of blade and you may have trouble using a narrow blade with the guides.

If you took a welder and a set of Carters to it, who knows ? But I can't imagine it being cost-effective.

Andy Dingley

And there may be structural issues. I'm just thinking of the blade tension issues that people face with sub $1000 bandsaws. The meat cutting BS's probably don't bother to "spend" on a structure which allow you to put

25,000 lbs of tension on the blade. Considering meat and bone has far less density than even the softest woods (so it would seem), there is no need to make the structure support such tension. And in cutting meat, I don't imagine the end consumers of the package of meat brought their micrometers to the meat counter anyway, so they won't notice the few thousandths of an inch blade deflection. Anyway, I think the meat-cutting bandsaw maker would put their design dollars elsewhere. Don't even ask if the table tilts, why would a meat cutting table need to tilt to 45 degrees. Aftermarket additions (for woodworking) probably won't fit either. Dude, just buy a basic Laguna and be done with it. Let me know how that works out for you.

I'm only speculating on some of these issues, the table may tilt, the wheels may be possible to tension to 30K+ PSI, etc...

Reply to
David Binkowski

To mitre pork chops of course!

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

Sure. You've heard of "woodbutchers," haven't you?

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle