16" bandsaw delta vs. jet vs. shop fox

I need to purchase a 16" bandsaw. I can't decide between a Delta, Jet or Shop Fox. I'm leaning towards Jet simply due to price, however Shop Fox comes with more standard accessories making it about equal in price. Any input would be appreciated.

Reply to
mel

You probably won't like this answer because I am going to suggest to you to spend over double what you want to. But, as they say, cry once...

I've been looking at BSs on and off for a while and finally was taking a long look at the Laguna. While researching the Laguna 16HD I read about the Mini Max 16. So I started to look for info on that one. After some homework I contacted Mini Max and a fellow from my ( southern CA ) area called and we talked for about 20 min while I was stuck in traffic. He e-mailed me some pix and later we talked for about 45 min about the pix and comparisons between the Mini Max and the Laguna. My thoughts were that the Laguna makes any of the Jets, Deltas, et al look pretty sick. Well, the Mini Max makes the Laguna look a pretty sick. This is, of course, just my opinion. If you wanted to contact the same person his name is Dain and he is at

1-800-830-2515. All that his would cost you is some time. He'll tell you that the Laguna is a fine machine and that you would be quite happy with it but.....

The biggest hang up is cost. But I bet you would pass this thing on to your kids. You would not have to buy another ( 16 inch ) bandsaw. I have also read that their support is top notch. I'm waiting for my MM 16 as I write this. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Regards, Jon

Reply to
JonH

hmmm......those are nice saws but SWMBO MBO! A potential gloat has backfired on me. A little over a year ago I found and old style Delta 14" in a garage sell for $50. Rewired the motor and switch, replaced the tires and worked as good as new. I started cutting cedar porch brackets for my builders ( I sell framing lumber for a living). It's proven quite lucrative so I've convinced SWMBO if I get a larger capacity saw I can earn even more but a Laguna or Mini Max is pushing the boundaries. I like my bed.... the couch is uncomfortable.

Reply to
mel

Sorry Mel. I figured that I was just going to cause some trouble. I guess that I shouldn't tell you how, when I told my wife that I was trying to scrape $$$ together to buy a BS around March(ish), she just patted my cheek ( the one by my mouth ) and said "go ahead and just get one". Holy smokes says me! I'm going to have to keep her. See ya, Jon

Reply to
JonH

In her defense she just let me acquire the new dewalt dw735 planer which by the way did a wonderful job last night on some 5/4 hard maple and walnut. In the last 18 months I've purchased my entire shop. Dewalt 746 table saw, dewalt 12" compound miter, grizzly 6" jointer (wish i had gotten a delta but it works ok), 2 compressors, bosch router, nail guns, tenon jig, 2003 chevy

2500 hd ( to haul things..grinning), etc.

So any trouble cause has been self inflicted.

Reply to
mel