15" planer

I am planning on upgrading my 12" planer to a 15" and want to keep it under $2000. The Powermatic 15" spiral head looks good. Anyone know anything about it or have recommendations about other brand"
--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

Got mine from http://www.wilkemachinery.com/ . They make the bridgewood line. FWW typically gives them rave reviews. Paid less than a $1000.00 more than a year ago. Works great. Concordantly that make their own Yorkcraft line. For the same amount of money you can get a 20" model.
Good luck, Jack
I haven't used that specific machine but looking at the specs I say buy it.
1. A spiral is way better than the not spiral and a true spiral is way better than the "spiral like" carbide things with all the little blades like everybody is offering.
2. 3hp on a 15" planer is ballsy.
The only downside is the bed rollers are not easily adjusted. That is the case with pretty much all mid range machines so no difference there.
On higher end machines you have micro adjust of the beds from the front of the machine. Real nice. It's less of a concern if you setup for one type of stock, either rough or faced. With faced you can minimize snipe by setting bed rollers low but rough stock won't feed. If the beds are up enough to run rough stock, then snipe is maximized.
I purchased a Sunhill 15" planner and added the HELIX cutter head. This is the replaceable tooling type not the bendable knives. Curly maple through the planer with NO blowout. 3hp, 220v, 1phase
Planer $825 Cutterhead $695 Installation $150 (They change the gearbox) Shipping $100
It was worth every penny!

Nice to hear. The Sunhill 15" has the base mounted motor right? That's better than some of the cheaper 15's that have the overhead mounted motor.
The Sunhill has the overhead mounted motor. Closer to the gearbox for speed adjustments.

Have you looked at Grizzly.com? They have some sales going on now (same as their earlier 2005 prices, but some good deals regardless). Also, General International (general.ca)? Andy