144,000 horsepower

Page 2 of 4

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/HARRRDtoPORT.jpg
And the spookiest picture ever...
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/chaiten5.jpg
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:03:10 -0800, Robatoy wrote:

Wow! That is one mean funnel.

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:03:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

"Lt. Cmdr. Hudson, how many times have I told you not not SKID the Carrier? Go to your quarters without dinner!"

That's a black and evil cloud if I ever saw one, alright. <shudder> Post a copy of THAT on your front window on Halloween nightand watch the candy giveaway count go way down!
OK, enough computer for one night. I'm off to bed to get back to Stephen Hunter's _Black Light_ sniper mystery.
-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. --Ronald Reagan
"Robatoy" wrote:

-------------------------------------- Reminds me of my college days living in a boarding house.
Saturday nights down in the basement watching TV.
"Have Gun Will Travel" and the Navy submarine show hosted by a retired Rear Admiral were fravorites.
Used footage of WWII subs and the lead into the show was the standard pice of film showing the sub surfacing at about a 45 degree angle.
I'm sure that little trick cost the captain the rest of his career unless it was done on orders.
Never cared to find out.
Lew
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:49:02 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

No doubt it was an authorized film of the emergency surfacing techniques, Lew. I loved those old sub flicks, too.
-- There is no such thing as limits to growth, because there are no limits to the human capacity for intelligence, imagination, and wonder. --Ronald Reagan

squirting pipe, the sweat, the pings, the mad skipper..... if you seen Das Boot, you've seen all the sub movies. IMHO.
I DO like sub warfare simulation games. Going back to Silent Service on a Commodore 64. Primitive, but fun. Then Wolfpack on a Mac... I now call those games 'time-sinks'.
scrawled the following:

squirting pipe, the sweat, the pings, the mad skipper..... if you seen Das Boot, you've seen all the sub movies. IMHO.
I DO like sub warfare simulation games. Going back to Silent Service on a Commodore 64. Primitive, but fun. Then Wolfpack on a Mac... I now call those games 'time-sinks'.
IIRC, Silent Service was the name of the TV show Larry watched. Another good one from that era was Victory at Sea.
"LDosser" wrote:

That was it.
Don't think Larry was old enough to watch.
Lew
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:46:10 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

True, I wasn't like some of you guys, writing in cunieform or Latin when I was in school. ;)
You may be right, but I was already watching TV when the series ended, so I'm sure I watched some of the episodes with the family. When Dad retired from the USAF, we moved to LoCal and he took me to see some of the subs on display in San Diego. That was way cool.
Back to TV, I vividly remember these: SeaQuest ('93, with Stephanie Beacham and Rosalind Allen, hubbahubba), the SeaView ('61), Sea Hunt ('58-61, with Lloyd Bridges.)
-- Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly. -- Thomas H. Huxley
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

-------------------------------------------- Next time you are in Cleveland, you van visit the COD, a WWII submarine, permanently on display.
Next door is the Rock & Roll hall of Fame.
You get to kill two birds with one stone.
Episodes of "Sea Hunt" still appear on late night TV here along with "Mr. Ed".
Can "Gilligan's Island" be far behind?
Lew

Recently heard that a re-make of Gilligan's Island is in the works. Kerry

Ricci for Mary-Ann and Lady Gaga for Ginger. Tim Conway for skipper, ... lesseee...who else..
"Robatoy" wrote:
Ricci for Mary-Ann and Lady Gaga for Ginger. Tim Conway for skipper, ... lesseee...who else.. -------------------------------- From the vault of useless trivia.
"Tim" Conway started out life as Tom Conway in Chagrin Falls, a Cleveland burb.
When he got to California, he found there was already an actor named Tom Conway, thus "Chagrin Tom Conway" became "Tim Conway" and the rest is history.
Lew
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 15:30:18 -0800, the infamous "Kerry Montgomery"

So give me a real reason to visit Cleavage, Oh10, eh?

"Reality based", no doubt. I'm sure glad I turned in my satellite dish.
-- I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain. -- John Adams

It's only 125 miles from Tony Packos.
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:45:29 -0800, the infamous "LDosser"

And that is...?
-- No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up. --Lily Tomlin

The best Hungarian Hot Dogs on the Planet!
"Robert Bonomi" wrote:

'Cigarette' boats AKA: Bathtub toys.
I used to have to listen to there bull crap about how 'Cigarette' boats were "Blue Water" boats.
Used to piss off those guys no end when they would schedule a race then have to stay tied up at dock when a front would come thru the night before and they couldn't handle the 4-6 ft chop with 15-20 knots of wind that resulted.
I'd hang a 110 jib, tuck a reef in the main and go out and play.
Gawd did that piss them off.
I just grinned and got a cold one.
Lew

15-20 knots and 6-ft chop wouldn't even get my old Hoby 16 airborne. I miss that thing, but I couldn't take the pounding at this age.
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:15:52 -0800, Robatoy wrote:

I'm not a boat nut, but a friend of mine had an old wooden sailboat in Southern California. I believe it was a ketch -20 some feet long - anyway a rig he could handle by himself. Oak with a heavy lead keel. He claimed it wouldn't even get moving till the Coast Guard put out the small craft warning :-).