14" Bandsaws - Anyone Use/Rate These?

As we all know, there are a gazillion bandsaws out there, and these questions about bandsaws keep coming up, so I wondered if we could do a thread here where people would actually tell us the pros/cons of various makes/models they are using?

For instance, I'm looking at a bunch of new/used 14" bandsaws and I'm wondering whether something is a good buy or if it's nothing but headaches down the road. Some of the BSmodels it seems many of us are _interested_ in are:

Delta 14" - Delta has many versions, but the basic casting must be the same. Right now they have that closed base 2-speed unit on sale for $539.00 tomorrow only. Is it a solid dependable machine, and what are its pros/cons?

Likewise, I was looking at a Rikon 14" in Woodcraft today. Only $499, and they are having a 1-day 10% off sale tomorrow. Is this a decent saw even though there's no riser option?

General International has a 14" at Woodcraft that looks like a Delta clone, and for $499 it comes with the dust port, closed base, what appears to be a Uni-clone fence (oversize chrome tubes, aluminum fence, etc.) and miter. Buy it tomorrow and get the 10% discount.

Jet 14" is another one, and then there's the Sears Professional 14" for $475 delivered. Powermatic is yet another.

Personally, I'm not really hung up on re-sawing 12" stock, so that's not a factor for me. But it might be when you go to sell something, so the capability has to be considered.

So if you actually use one of these models, how about telling us the good, the bad, and even the ugly?

Reply to
captmikey

I am a new owner of one of the Jet saws JWBS-14CS Gold Series. It replaced an old 10" Craftsman 3 wheel direct drive BS that was a nightmare and never got used. So far I am very pleased with the Jet and find it smooth, quiet, and accurate. It seems to have plenty of power but to be honest I haven't tested it with anything challenging like re-sawing 6" maple.

In regards to another thread here about a Delta 14" BS mine has no noticable vibration even though it's not quite leveled on the floor right now (shop reorganization). And for those who are dying to know, yes a nickle will stand on the table with the saw running. ;-)

Bob B.

Reply to
R. Barker

Bob...

Thanks for the feedback and opinion. I've been told to stay away from any 3-wheelers. I may break down and buy new, but I'm still looking for a used BS to pop up locally. I keep wondering about the Rikon 14" which seems to be a good value as does the General International 14" unit that is a Delta-type clone.

Mike

Reply to
captmikey

Just like the tens of thousands of other Deltas out there.

Reply to
George

George...

But there are problems with Deltas too. Just look at that LONG thread up above with a new X5 14" bandsaw vibrating too much. Some guys are complaining that Delta is using more Chinese parts today than some of the "lesser" brands unless you buy the absolute top of the line.

That being said, the majority of us still feel very comfortable with a Delta product.

Mike

Reply to
captmikey

============ I am also looking to replace my origanl CRAPSMAN 12 inch BS as it is now almost 40 years old....

BUT it also still passes the nickle test .. damn thing would pass the dime test also IF I had a dime in my pocket....

Does that make my Crapsman a good BS...? I do not think so...!

Bob Griffiths .

Reply to
Bob G.

Sorry to have shot over your head.

What I tried to say was that tens of thousands of other Deltas (including one at my house) were operating flawlessly. A lemon is a lemon, and some folks, like a poster about a year ago, who have not a clue, blame the equipment manufacturer as if it were endemic rather than epidemic.

Reply to
George

American Woodworker has a good general collection of data.

the word wrap.

Dave

snipped-for-privacy@hotmelt.com wrote:

Reply to
very_dirty_dave

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that Delta was in some way inferior. Should have been more careful with my wording I guess.

Bob B.

Reply to
R. Barker

responding to

rowalla wrote: I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on and can't get parts. I'm looking for the upper blade guides. Omaha Industrial tool is nomore that I can find. Anyone suggest something for the guides that I can use. I ordered the kit from carter, but it wouldn't fit. Thanks

------------------------------------- Roger Wallace

Reply to
rowalla

responding to

rowalla wrote: I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on and can't get parts. I'm looking for the upper blade guides. Omaha Industrial tool is nomore that I can find. Anyone suggest something for the guides that I can use. I ordered the kit from carter, but it wouldn't fit. Thanks

------------------------------------- Roger Wallace

Reply to
rowalla

I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on and

What kind of guides does it use? If it's roller guides try rollerblade bearings. If it's solid guides order a lignum vitae turning blank from Rockler for two and a half bucks and cut your own to fit.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Is it for re-sawing ? or for bowls or for staves or ?????

Re-sawing is best done with a 1" to 4" wide blade. Bowls need height and normally 3/8 or 1/2 so curves are possible in perform.

Are you turning or cutting.

I have a Delta 14". The only thing I wanted was a deeper throat or a larger table.

I've had it for maybe 10-15 years now. I'd have to look up the documents to find a date. It does well with normal blades. I've re-sawed for some thick stock to plane later. Preformed bowl blanks.

It is heavy. A log on it never made it tipsy.

Martin

I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on and

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

J. Clarke wrote the following:

> I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on and

Save your keystrokes, the question was asked in February 2005.

Reply to
willshak

>> I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on and

The two major complaints I have about Hamster are that (1) sometimes it reloads a bunch of ancient posts for no apparent reason and (2) it insists on kicking off its housekeeping at midnight and there's no way to change it to another time.

Thanks.

Reply to
J. Clarke

>> I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on and

homeowners hub steals information from this and other newsgroups and posts them to their site. They are making money off of us. Seems like the regurgitate stuff every once in a while.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

>>> I don't suggest getting an Omaha Industrial Tool bandsaw. I have on >>>> and

I know. It was just a heads-up for J. Clarke

Reply to
willshak