14" bandsaw

Page 4 of 4
I don't see them listed as a exhibitor. Good thing.
I have seen the Grizz - I'd pass. Life is to short to buy cheap tools. My late Father-in-law, was a tightwad. I decided that the Grizz TS was going to be just as good as the Unisaw. I traveled up to Apple Valley to put it together for him. After hours of, fighting this pile of junk, rethreading un-tapped holes, replacing cheap bolts that snapped with little effort, ect. I finally got it working and *close* to level and square. We let it run for a few minutes to settle in the he ran a few pieces thru to test its' power. Well then the motor started to make noise, then more noise, then smoke!
He sent it back, bought the Unisaw, used it for five years. Now my brother-in-law uses it at his shop almost daily. Sorry about the rant but I don't want to hear from you later that you hate it.
Note to wreak, Save the flames about how you have a Grizz and they are fine. Just admit you shop at at Harbor Freight and are willing to sacrifice quality price. Ask yourself, would I be proud to hand this tool down to my kids?
Dave

I seriously doubt your story. To have EVERY portion of the saw fail is not believable. Between my shop and friends' shops, I'll bet I have helped assemble/use 20 Griz products, and have never ran into the problems you did. Dollar Vs. value, you cannot beat them.

Steven, Sorry, It is true. I don't own stock in any tool company and frankly could care less what tools you like or don't. The OP asked for our opinion, I gave him mine.
Did you not read this part?

Dave
like or don't. The OP asked for our opinion,

I'll take them all. Thanks!

Yep. And you DID mention that it was at least five years ago, probably more than that if your brother-in-law is now happily using the unisaw.
When I researched before buying my Griz 1022, I found a lot of posts like yours from that period. Over the following years, those posts decreased and the "I'm happy with it" posts increased. I interpreted that shift to mean Grizzly had managed to get their QC a little more under control.

I drop in from time to time. Bought my dc there, after a lot of research. Some clamps, other supplies. I think I'll get my next grinder there. A bench drill press. No other power tools. I don't consider myself the kind of person who will sacrifice quality for price, but I'll sacrifice bells and whistles for stuff I can afford. If I could afford a Unisaw, I'd have one. They ARE better, I'll admit that to anybody, and I'm puzzled by the fact that somebody who could afford a unisaw right off the bat even bothered with the economy stuff.

To be honest with ya Dave, I would. I've already had to clean it up from where my son-in-law drooled all over it. I've had to build it up piecemeal to get it where it is now, and I'm not done, but I enjoy it. Somebody who doesn't want to spend the time I spent fiddling with it should spend the extra money. I couldn't. But I'm having fun and I like the fact that I know that saw inside and out. But that's me. :-) The problems I have with my projects are due to my inexperience, not the saw.
Hope you don't consider that a flame. I tried hard not to make it one. I think the current Giz products are solid frameworks that still need some tweaking to get them up to par, but although they apparently used to be junk, I don't think they are anymore.
So I'm not going to feel bad at all about handing this saw off to my son-in-law when I have the wherewithal to purchase a unisaur and a decent place to put it. :-)
Dan
Dan, You are correct, it was well over five years ago. Thanks.
Here is how I honestly feel about it. Grizzly gets one bite at the apple. They failed miserably and it was none to easy to get them to take it back either. They wanted to... never mind, its a painful story but you get the idea.
I learned long ago, cheap tools are cheap for a reason. If Grizzly is making a high quality tool now, then fine, go for it. But from what I have seen first hand, they still have a few more steps to go.
Dave

FWIW, I don't think Grizzly tools are all THAT cheap. <G>
The $375 + $55 band saw compares to band saws in the $400-500 range, not $850 saws. Since you have no dealer support, are jumping through hoops to deal with truckers, and are buying it sight unseen, a premium has to be offered to the buyer. A good dealer has value, true value isn't free.
Many of the "free" accessories I've seen that were included with any brand of Chiwanese machine tool are Harbor Freight quality.
There are other Chiwanese brands, like Woodtek and Sunhill that sell Grizzly quality at the same price. Jet, General, Rigid, and Delta sell imports at the midpoint to bottom of their lines that include local dealer support.
FWIW, Grizzly may have the biggest advertising budget in the business, EVERY magazine I have, including trades, like "Woodshop News", has multiple ads. Grizzly usually buys back covers, inside front and back covers, and sometimes centerfolds, all of which are the most expensive ads in the issue.
While most of these Chiwanese tools are suitable for the tasks they were designed for, overall you do get what you pay for. Every time I've thought of ordering a Grizzly tool, with the exception of the spindle / disc combo sander, I've found an almost identical tool, at nearly the same price, locally.
Barry
Steven Bliss wrote:

I went back and read all the words and I didn't see anything about EVERY portion of the saw failing. I read something about Dave having to finish the manufacturing process and then all the magic smoke escaped from the motor.
Did a message skip over my server?

This is true. Oh by the way, I wasn't in Dallas so Kennedy must be alive.

This certainly reads as a compromise.
UA100
Well thanks to everyone that replied and gave input. I looked at the Jets, and the Delta at Lowes. And of course the Ridgid at Home Depot, and the Craftsman at Sears. Never got to see the Grizzly in person.
But got myself a Very lightly used Delta 28-299 (American made) that came with all "Limited Edition" goodies, still had the original blade on it, rip fence, mobile base, vacuum attachment, and circle cutting attachment. It runs very smooth. Needs a bit of retuning and a new blade. But even as I got it it runs very good. I am very happy and think that I've got a saw that will serve me very well for my lifetime of any band sawing chores that I will probably do.
http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm/OwnersManuals/20030401144848_En%20426-02-651-0040%20-%2009-31-01.pdf
Thanks again for the input, Grant

Looks like you got a real winner. Good luck with it. Ed
Thanks Ed. I think I did get a winner. I paid only about $45 more than the Grizzly Ultimate. But I got more saw I beleive. I'm stoked. Gotta get some good blades for it though. The original one that came with it is the only one that had ever been used on it. I'd like a good assortment. Any recommendations? Grant
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote> Looks like you got a real winner. Good luck with it.

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Get ceramics for it. Especially if you'll be doing a lot of work with wide blades. I'm a turner, and they control the blade beautifully when the old cool blocks just wore the left upper and lower like crazy.
Below 1/4, and possibly at it, you'll want soft ones.
"Normal" use shows me with 1/2" 3TPI for resawing and green wood large, 3/8" 4 TPI for green wood small, 3/8 and 1/4" 6 TPI for general purpose use, but I own an oscillating spindle sander. For bandsaw boxes we use a 12 TPI 1/4 at the school, I've got a 3/16 with perhaps 14 at home.
Oh yes, as I've mentioned more than once, the kids stand in line at school to get to the old Delta (and now the new) versus the Grizzly, which is an inconsistent performer. You did good.
I'm stoked. Gotta get